Amassing Treasure In Heaven


Yesterday I was told by a friend about a man he knew about growing up.

My friend is from a fairly small town in the southeastern part of the United States.

The man he is referring to was called “Can Man” by the locals.

This gentleman gathered aluminum cans to recycle.

My friend describes this man as what would be described as a recluse.

He was described to me as unkempt, 'poor' looking, and residing in a house resembling a shack.

Of the several churches in the area, only one would 'allow' this man to sit in the back during 'worship service.'

Nothing much was known about this man other than his daily activity of gathering used aluminum cans.

However, when he passed away and his will was found, many people were quite surprised.

The man left a small fortune in the amount of $7.8 million to that particular church.

During his time away from looking for aluminum cans to recycle, the man would study finance, economics and like subjects, investing his paltry income from recycling into millions of dollars.

I am not sure if the church did good with the money, or redistributed as the teaching of righteousness speaks to do so ( Acts 4: 32-37 ).

I found a similar story today in search of this man's identity, somewhat similar from another part of the world.


Consider these two examples when some people in society may be overlooked, or looked down upon.

Consider also what you would do different, either being one of these men or being a stranger to them, a passerby.

The message in the Word speaks differently to people who are at a different places in their heart, so the sharing of these passages is not an attempt to define or judge these two men, but to simply forward a truth regarding money and perceptions.

May your heart always choose what is according to Gods good will.

One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; 
another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth. 
- Proverbs 13: 7 

A wicked person earns deceptive wages, 
but the one who sows righteousness reaps a sure reward. 
- Proverbs 11: 18

Someone in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 
Yeshua replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” Then He said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” 
And He told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ 
“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.” ’ 
“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ 
“This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.” 
- Luke 12: 13-21 

Comments

Popular Posts