Starting Line

[this blog was previously entitled "Smart People Smart Money" and that was its URL. It was intended as a place for me to journal my journey of self employment and money management, sharing with family and friends mostly. I would eventually change the tone and focus and title to "Smart People Smart Living" - and more appropriately the current and forever title of "Providence & Prescience" reflecting the five-year commission and that effort's new trajectory.]

Cheers All,

I first successfully leveraged the knowledge of making money using real estate back in late 2005, just a few months after my grandfather's death.

Leonardo Severo Garcia (1920-2005)


It was bittersweet to say the least. 

I was living under his roof as he slowly came to the end of his days before my eyes. 

I learned a great deal more than just money those last few years living with my grandfather.

He was born on a farm in Cuba into a large family (nine brothers and sisters).

He was a military man and police officer before becoming a bus driver in Havana.

The political situation with Fidel Castro and the U.S. embargo over the island had him leave the country as a refugee.

He brought his wife and three children to the U.S. with nothing but a few changes of clothes.

The new regime ceased the selling of homes and chattel property.

At that point, no one was allowed to leave the country with anything of actual value.

I learned some things from him directly, and many other things from observing his physical demise and my reaction to such.

I had been educating myself on how to make a living while not having to work my entire life paying for it. 

Little did I know the door I had opened brought much more than just the knowledge of money.

Two weeks after I laid my grandfather to rest I was scheduled to take a written exit exam for my bachelor's degree. 

The patriarchs of my generation:
Maternal grandmother Edelmira Garcia (1920-2018) sporting a beehive
and my maternal grandfather holding me with my first mohawk


I failed to pass. 

My mind was numb from the loss as my eyes were swollen from crying. 

It took the rest of the year for my head to come together. 

It has taken my heart much longer.

By year's end, I had managed to launch my first business from my grandfather's home and shortly made more in a month what had taken my grandfather a year or more to make during his lifetime. 

Bittersweet indeed, but I know he saw what I did and was glad because he was worried about me.

Reflecting on how much and how hard he worked to provide for his family led me to find out how to make ends meet while still living a proud existence with family and friends (aka living life to the fullest). 

Look at his worry and concentration as I hammer down a Sundae
That's my maternal uncle Jorge Pajon (always a jokester lighthearted)
and my second eldest sister Lilian with her 70's wave hairstyle.


I have chosen not to follow in his steps of being an employee of others.

I've chosen a road of self employment coupled with a smarter work ethic... like learning how to leverage debt, invest monies into assets, and live frugally until those efforts surpass my daily drudge.

Discipline... similar to his in being a man of utmost character and getting up every single day to provide for his family.

Discipline, but now in another way.

That tough choice has allowed me the perspective to view the world as so many authors and poets write about, and so many greedy and selfish folks take advantage of.

I hope not to follow in the latter's footsteps, but perhaps forge a new way where if I were to leverage another man's labor, it would be to a mutual benefit, not solely my own.

Comments

Popular Posts