Financial Divots?

I remember sitting at my first "paid" real estate seminar (not a free one, although they are also informative, just don't be swayed by the sales pitches), and hearing the speaker say on a couple of occasions: "America raises financial divots."

He explained how, just out of high school, most kids want to "grow up" and get that job, that car, that house, etc... only to fall victim to those who may know either a little bit more about money / economy or simply know how to dangle the carrot in front of the hopeful's eyes. They borrow the money to buy, and they find themselves now in debt... and the mouse wheel now begins to roll... them perpetually churning it to "keep up with the Joneses, the Smiths and the Rockefellers.

I remember considering if his statement was true... and I found myself lacking much knowledge of finance and eventually found that he was absolutely correct.... although I took economics, I only remember learning about supply and demand and some other general topics... but not what running your own business was...

In business class, I was taught how to manage another person's business, but not how to spear-head my own start-up.

I learned how to count money, but not about assets, liabilities, investments as opposed to a sales pitch, and no where did I learn how to even balance a checkbook!

Never did I think a 12% return on my money existed, let alone 100% return... these were tales to me, told by fairies. Yet, they do exist... but only to the learned mind.

America has lacked a financial education in its public schools either on purpose or by design I say.

If folks were taught to save, invest and grow their money, where would the need to "borrow" from the banksters exist? It wouldn't, and perhaps there is an incentive to not allow that to happen... for certain businesses would lose their power and control. What would be realized is that money is simply a tool, not some mysterious thing that only your hard work and sweat could bring.

Money's mystique would soon fade, for you would see that this idea of money is nowadays being printed out on some fancy paper with fancy words on it, but truly, it is the faith held by the blind masses which gives it that "false" sense of something (power, ability, etc.) It is the gathered belief (faith) that you hand this paper to someone and they will honor the trade with whatever "real" thing they are giving in exchange for it... and then they in turn will 'pass the buck' on down the line.

Oh what will happen when the faith in the phony is lost?

Education is key.

Comments

Popular Posts