Routine Interrupted



I am having a wifi challenge at home today, so I take a walk to a nearby eatery where they offer free wifi!  

It’s not really “nearby,” I would say it is about a mile away… but I need to get this body in motion.

By this time ( 9am ) I ‘would’ be emailing my lovely wife, asking her how her day is coming along at work ( we both plan on working for ourselves, me having already pierced the envelope of that experience first ).

By now I would be checking emails from customers, friends and whoever else has contacted me.  

By this time I would have posted a daily scripture for my FaceBook friends to read and ponder, letting His Word marinate on their hearts and conscience as it does mine. 

By now I would have read responses to something I have written ( something instigating people to think outside of convention and their cultural programming ) somewhere on the internet ( like RT News, for example ) and I would be deciding whether to further their mindscape or simply letting it go, not that I would be acquiescing to their opinions or points of view, but simply letting what I’ve already written to continue to speak on its own.  

By now I would be comfortably in my typical routine… but at this very moment I am not doing so.

I came to a restaurant this morning in the hopes of getting online, getting a hot meal and getting back home in time to assist a friend in something they need to get done… but the wifi is not cooperating here at this particular restaurant.  

I asked the waitress if the wifi is working, and she had to ask if they even had internet ( I’ve been here before and I suppose she never knew or is new ) and I was very encouraged that the waitress asked the manager to turn the device off and on again ( to refresh it, for that is usually the issue when connecting ).  

The manager himself even came by after some time to say he is calling the 800 number to find out what it going on, even though he states the device is working fine… but he is going ahead and will try refreshing the device.

He even stopped by again to say he’s on hold with the internet people.

My ‘healthy’ food has arrived, and although I haven’t found my routine, I am not too perplexed for I know things happen and don’t happen for a reason… for reasons which may be beyond my immediate understanding but for greater purposes nonetheless… greater even than my desire to surf the web in my attempt to save the world from itself… and other things.

My egg whites, spinach leaves, tomato, turkey bacon and pepper jack cheese in between two muffin halves with a side dish of sliced bananas, blue berries, apples, grapes ( not sliced ) and dish of yogurt with a few blue berries adorning it have arrived… and it was a good choice.

By now my wife and I would have shared a few “I mish you bebesh” and “te extrano mi amor” and we would have recalled how much we enjoyed dinner last night with one another, although the wine gave me a headache which kept me up most of the night... but it was still tasty as it complemented the escargot and shrimp stuffed crepe with lobster sauce I had.

Moments like this force me to look around me, to notice the city employees as they make the rounds around town, to notice the folks coming in through the door, the particular demographics who sojourn this eatery, to notice the manner in which the employees communicate with one another.  

Just now the manager came by once again saying the folks on the other side of the phone are troubleshooting and trying to find out what’s going on… that they may even send someone… and although I may not get online today or may have to wait until tonight, I was granted the opportunity to live a little more... to further push out from my immediate scope, to enjoy life slowed down and brought to a pace I do wish to pursue… and another blog entry in which I can share my thoughts with others… in the hopes that they too will take the road less traveled and be grateful for the life we’ve been gifted.

It is times like these that break me out of ‘my’ routine and sets me back at realizing the bigger picture… the world outside of ‘my’ world… the people who coexist alongside ‘my’ path… the immediate world as it is, whether good or bad or to ‘my’ liking… the world in which I exist and which a mission exists in my heart to help in any and all ways I can.

Even the walk to this location, one I’ve driven many imes before, was different when journeyed on foot than when flying by at 40mph.

Noticing the people traveling the same roads as me, the places I see momentarily when zooming by in a vehicle, were now observed closely and with calm, looking further into them, past them and around them… seeing more while taking the time to observe, I breathe in the places around me I haven’t considered before... like noticing the apartment buildings across the street from the high school... a bit seedy and too familiar.

The manager stopped by again and informed me that yesterday someone had complained the wifi wasn’t working… I want to ask if I could look at the device myself, but he most likely wouldn’t let me into the ‘back office’ since I’m currently sporting a mohawk and a beard that would scare even the burliest of forest men, but even with this ‘look’ I don’t get too many people crossing the street when they see me coming… oh how I try to look dangerous, lol.

The mohawk was more to shock my wife, for she had asked me to grow out what little hair I have left, saying it looks cute ( yeah, bald spots and receding hair lines are cute ) but the long hair and newly sprouting grey hairs were somewhat getting on my nerves, so I shaved the dome once again while leaving a landing strip for birds.

She was momentarily shocked for we shared a laugh and I was able to take some pictures and show it off… since I’m still on the younger side of my midlife crisis.

The manager came by yet again asking me if I was able to connect ( I had turned my computer off and on to see if it would connect by chance ) and no was the answer… I’m going to ask him if I can take a look for myself, it’s been an hour and I would have to be heading back to the house pretty soon.

Comments

Popular Posts