Entertain Your Fellow Man

So I'm at a local eatery I occasionally frequent for breakfast, and I am sitting two tables over from two gentlemen who seem to be having a business meeting / conversation.  One man is Caucasian, nearing his 60's, receding hairline dressed modestly, while the other man is Asian in his later 40's ( I'm guessing on the age with both ), but I only got a look at him as I walked past to my table, the furthest one in the restaurant.

The Caucasian man seems to be pitching an investment opportunity to the Asian fellow, for I can hear some of what they are discussing.  The Caucasion fellow is facing me and while the Asian fellow's back is to me.  I hear from the man facing me "so you are in an all cash position at this point?" to which I happen to glance over to him and he notices me noticing what he just said.  His eyes now with a bit of glare and perhaps a touch of worry or apprehension.  As I am waiting for my breakfast plate and during my meal, I hear "we had become a $15M dollar company by then" and also hearing "Hollywood Video had grown to...." and so on, all from the Caucasian fellow, for I cannot make out anything the Asian says, his back being turned to me.  I try not to stare or look over at them, not wanting eavesdrop anymore than I already have.

In a situation like this, I am usually tempted interrupt either prior to them leaving or as I leave, my pitch with what "I do" or dazzle them with what I 'know' and what I 'have done' and so forth, so they don't think I am just some scrappy dude trying to game anyone ( but I have been found guilty of this as well, I must confess ).... yet after considering the last few weeks of my life.. and furthering the message from yesterday's church gathering, I decide and resolve to speak with them prior to departure and open with "do you gentlemen go to church?"

I leave my table, and the guy is already noticing me ( eye contact ) that I am going to walk up ).  I stand before them, extend my hand to the Caucasian guy ( the one who had seen me the whole time as I ate breakfast ) and say "sorry to interrupt your business meeting.  Hello, my name is Ed" with a smile.

He smiles a very uncomfortable and forced smile, clinching his hands which have been under his face ( elbows leaning on the table ) but refuses to acknowledge my hand, and with his uncomfortable grimace showing his over-sized teeth and all the lines on his face from too much time on a tropical beach somewhere with bad skin products thought to guard against ultra violet rays, he simply responds "what do you want 'man'?"

I again apologize with "sorry for interrupting your business meeting guys" as I glance over at the other gentlemen with a soft smile, and then give the pitch "do you guys go to church?"  He responds with a sharp 'no I don't' and the other fellow mumbles an affirmative to the negative.

I say "well, in that case, here is my business card... have a great day gentlemen."

I lay one business card before each of the gentlemen as I say this and turn to leave... still with a soft smile ( now almost laughing yet a bit perturbed because of his unfriendly and stoic response ).

I usually don't go up to strangers with an introductory line like that, but it was the line that worked on the man who gave the message yesterday at church ( the minister ).  I figured it was worth a try since it worked for him ( or so he shared it being the catalyst to an opening to that conversation ).  I usually open with what I do, or stating I overheard their conversation and was intrigued... and whatever else comes to mind.... and, in terms of reaching out to people with the aim of telling them about Christ or eventually inviting them to visit a church gathering or have a scripture study, I sometimes let my life exemplify my beliefs instead of being outright with it.... oh well.

As I walk away, I can't help but wonder what the guy had in mind when he refused to either shake my hand or give that tort and not even a friendly gesture outside of 'what do you wan, man?... sure they were talking what seemed to them to be 'BIG MONEY,' but I can't help but wonder if that gentleman simply viewed me as just some punk Latino, with a shaved head and a shabby and faded t-shirt and faded and out of style shorts on... probably unemployed ( or unemployable, both of which I proudly am btw LOL ) and wanting to either sell them something, extort them or who knows what....

I also thought to myself 'would this shabby diner be the place to discuss such a business meeting / opportunity.. why not a place which serves wine or 'brunch' and such?'  At least that would be my aim... or perhaps such a place is one which is unassuming and easy going.... amongst the serfs.

Whatever the case, I did learn to not dismiss people no matter what they look like, what they say or otherwise... for you never know who you may be speaking with and 'who' they may know ( what I've done far too many times in my very critical and judgmental heart with others ).

At any rate of happenstance, I know they got a kick out of my business card, it's image and what it states... surely that raised an eyebrow.

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

- Hebrews 13:2 ( I am no angel, just referencing this scripture for the concept on how to treat others and not dismiss people on appearance alone )

Comments

Popular Posts