Become Like A Child

Every so often I find random sidewalk 'chalk art'.
Not sure if this particular one was by a child or an adult.

The other day as I was walking to a local coffee shop to do some work, I came across a friend and her children.

She was on her morning exercise walk with them.

It was a weekend day and she wasn't walking them to school but bringing them along with her... I would imagine to walk along the shore.

The youngest daughter, maybe age seven, trailed behind her mother and siblings and walked alongside me.

Then began the 20 questions.

I was humbled by her inquisitive and innocent manners.

In answering her questions as honestly, accurately, and considerately as possible, she was not the only one learning that morning.

I conveyed to her answers as best as I could, and I think it was me who learned lasting lessons, reminders of past lessons, and affirmations of past lessons.

She was quite detailed and thorough with follow-up questions to clarify things.

It felt like I was having a walking press conference regarding the delicate topics we were discussing.

The reality that I was speaking to a child caused me to greatly adjust my terms and expressions, not go into great elaboration but make simple analogies.

What felt a bit overwhelming was when I realized some of the questions had to do with sentiments made popular in media.

She asked 'if a girl has her hair cut really short and dresses like a boy, would that make her a boy?'.

I rarely speak to children, and some of the adults I have political and social discussions with are usually older than me and a bit sophisticated regarding their points of view and dialogue.

I had to consider her level of maturity (an innocent child).

I began to realize the greater context of her world; in grade school, most likely watching television and listening to popular music at home.

If she doesn't get a dose of media and politics at home, she most likely gets it through the filtered minds of her peers and teachers... and thus receives such in her mind and heart .

I desired not to talk 'down' to her, but speak 'with' her and think as a child would.

This was a great lesson for me.

Many times I find myself attempting to speak to others according to my own perspective, instead of reaching for theirs.

When I do make an effort in speaking with others according to where they are coming from, it is a delicate procedure not to be condescending or flattering or insincere.

This effort reminds me of the interpersonal communication classes I took at university.

Some of the lessons were clear and useful, yet the lessons could eventually become mechanical.

Like remembering to place 'I think' before a direct statement, making the statement sound more like an opinion.

I remember how I had learned some of these lessons through experience, not because they were an element of common knowledge, but were realized according to an effort to consider others better than myself.

This was learned in a dynamic church group that exposed my heart to a wide range of people from various walks of life.

And when most church members are also making an effort to be loving, kind, and considering others better than themselves, a cultural dynamic is fostered that can filter into the crevices of the wider world.

The fine line is to not be overtly religious or carry arrogant piety when speaking to others (zeal without wisdom).

So that recent morning when speaking to this inquisitive child I was reminded how I too am called to be like a child.

I was amazed at how much clearer the conversation was when aiming to express things as simply and softly as possible, considering the innocent audience.

This exchange was heart warming and a bit emotional when considering all things.

I understood how a parent desires to protect their child from the ugliness found in this world.

Almighty Father, protect your children.

Comments

Popular Posts