The Pricelessness Of Good Character

Proverbs 30: 8-9

I realized long ago that no matter how much money or prestige working with certain individuals would bring me, if they were intolerable, I would not do business with them.

I may still be friendly with them, surely love them in consideration of their relation to me under God, but would likely not enter into a situation where their low character would be magnified if challenged with the things of this world.

This is a business decision I made long ago regarding a mindset that I was engulfed with for a time when I fell under the false pretenses of wealth, and my character swam with the leeches.

For some people, they will do anything and put up with anyone in order to make a dollar.

The more there may be to gain, the more extreme the people and a situation may be tolerated.

This is why we see men and women rent their bodies for paltry amounts (not that any amount would justify such a practice), and men and women kill others in a variety of situations over a minor issues.

For some other people, they have strong morally-based convictions that follow them into the business world.

When I was working for others (as an employee), I began learning how a certain character from a boss, manager, or owner, would affect the employees and the business.

I have worked for some magnificent jerks; dishonorable people who didn't care about their employees but about their bottom-line and their self interests.

I have also worked for people that were honorable and respectable.

A kind and considerate attitude makes a lousy job somewhat tolerable, while a lousy character makes even a fun job very tasking.

I remember having to struggle with a deplorable working environment (regarding the manners of other employees) under a kind manager.

It was similar to a schoolyard where once teacher supervision was out of sight, the mischievousness of the dishonorable would reign.

Not only does productivity suffer, an environment of low characters further suppresses productivity.

Retaining anyone of dignity or respect would likely retard growth or excellence.

This is evident not only in private business settings, but also corporate culture and even more so in public jobs (government).

I'm sure Human Resource departments and even small business owners understand what is being expressed here.

Other situations was me working with tolerable employees but under a rude and diluted boss / owner that would have a similarly poor affect on morale and productivity.

The environment in a corporate structure is not always better or worse; it all depends on the characters one works alongside and under.

All of these experiences I added to learning.

Learning how to treat and speak to others, and how not to speak to and treat others.

In my early employment years, I couldn't perceive the thought of working for myself or owning my own business.

So putting up with despicable people was unfortunately part of life until my mind was expanded to perceive a reality beyond my ignorance of the business world.

By witnessing how certain business owners and managers treater and spoke to employees, I realized the great responsibility in being a kind human being to other human beings.

I decided that taking on employees if I ever had a business of my own, I would have to be careful how I spoke to and treated them...considering their position just as I was experiencing my place under gross management or undignified bosses.

The book Rich Dad Poor Dad assisted in the mind expansion beyond employment, among many other books.

The theme in that book (that children learn from their parents regarding money, finance, business, etc.) can be applied to all aspects of life.

Although not a successful effort to bequeath wealth onto the next generation, but quite often a wealthy person begets wealthy children.

I don't mean 'wealthy' as in nominal terms (although this is also true), but in another way.

The success rate of handing down this wealth I speak of can be lessened when the laws of God are ignored from one generation to another.
I have seen a grievous evil under the sun: 
   wealth hoarded to the harm of its owners, 
      or wealth lost through some misfortune, 
         so that when they have children 
     there is nothing left for them to inherit. 
  Everyone comes naked from their mother’s womb,  
      and as everyone comes, so they depart. 
   They take nothing from their toil 
      that they can carry in their hands. 
- Ecclesiastes 5: 13-15
Consider a minister, pastor, deacon, missionary, or other religious term, in whichever culture that has to do with being an example before God and man, and also being an example to one's family.

I have witnessed first-hand the children of such as these grow to be just as honorable and dignified as their parents, or even more so; their parent's wealth was transferred to the children.

I have also seen the opposite.

It isn't that the children follow the religious vocations and thus retain such wealth, the office doesn't make the person (although this is what many people perceive).

The children retained the good character traits that were either instilled in them through purposeful effort or by simple imitation (as all children are the product of their guardians and home environment).

The Scripture speaks in literal terms about earthly wealth, yet also speaks of the wealth that is from Above; wealth that predicates earthly riches and also preserves an immeasurable treasure in one's heart.
To the person who pleases Him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner He gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 
- Ecclesiastes 2: 26
Understanding that this world is temporary, and that true joy and satisfaction is found in a myriad of ways beyond gaining a certain number of dollars, or a certain horde of material possessions, there have been many people blessed with such a kind of wealth that from the casual observer, these people's joy is not only immeasurable, but mysterious when compared to their physical poverty.

This isn't an article attempting to convince you to be happy and poor, or to 'wait' until heaven to gain a semblance of wealth.

What this article is conveying is that the taste of earthly wealth is here for the taking, but all things do come at a cost.

Having faith in what the Word of God teaches, and has long established, allows the faithful to not only enjoy either a measure of sparing, moderate, or great earthly wealth while not being consumed by such things is witnessed with how the wicked pursue the things of this world and its trappings.

According to the wisdom resounding from the Word of God, the fortunate can do so much good with their earthly wealth that they can sire many heirs with it.

And again, this wealth I speak of is not only measured in material terms (which is finite), but is the infinite wealth that builds up unto eternal life.

This wealth is already now living in the faithful in the Name of Yeshua Christ.

Comments

Popular Posts