My SuperBowl 2018 Review



I don't watch sports as I used to when I was a child.

However, I do like watching popular things in media to 'see' what is being done by others.

I was quite surprised by the tone of this year's SuperBowl.

The commercials have become just as popular as the game itself.

So I've been watching this particular game for the past few years, mostly for the commercials and the half-time show, to see what is being messaged to the world's audience.

Some commercials are heartwarming, positive, hope-filled... some are tasteless, offensive, degrading and dishonorable (while attempting to be the opposite).

Of course, depending on your heart and mind... you may interpret the messages differently.

This year was quite unique as most commercials seemed to be aimed at love, human unity, accepting people's differences (and almost demanding it - the tone of one particular commercial), and tolerance.

Some commercials conveyed sensitive needs in a humorous way.

What was most astounding for me, were three moments:

- the half-time cover song

- the first interview with the winning coach

- an interview with the winning quarterback days before the actual game

The song that was covered when the half-time entertainer was sitting at a piano was written by an entertainer that passed away almost two years ago.

It was a shame the later distracting drama from popular opinions about details, but this is typical in the entertainment world - drama and ignorance.

I've heard the deceased entertainer's music while growing up... it was on pop radio quite often.

However, either I was too young or not paying much attention, but I heard the lyrics while watching the half-time show in such a clear way it touched my heart profoundly.

I knew exactly who was being sung about in the first-person.

I praised God for such a message being proclaimed to the millions of viewers around the world.

Here are some of the lyrics:
I'm not a womanI'm not a man 
   I Am something that you'll never understand 
      I'll never beat youI'll never lie 
         And if you're evil I'll forgive you by and by 
You, I would die for you, yeah 
         Darling if you want Me to ...
      I Am something that you'll never comprehend 
   No need to worryNo need to cry 
I'm your Messiah and you're the reason why 
   'Cause you, I would die for you, yeah 
      Darling if you want Me to 
         You, I would die for you 
You're just a sinner I Am told 
         Be your fire when you're cold 
       Make you happy when you're sad 
   Make you good when you are bad 
I'm not a human 
   I Am a dove 
      I'm your conscious 
         I Am Love 
      All I really need is to know that you believe 
   Yeah, I would die for you, yeah ...
- lyrics by Prince Rogers Nelson
The first interview with the winning coach hears him confess the Reality the song was singing about.

This coach came from relative obscurity (coaching high school) into being the most recognized coach this year.

There was also fact the two starting quarterbacks were professed Christians.

The winning quarterback was a second-string (reserve) player, and for him to assume the responsibility and show the ability to perform was remarkable.

An interview with the winning quarterback days before the actual game I think reveals his calm and confidence taking up such a task.

Although the game is a past time, something entertaining and arguably insignificant for some people, let us look briefly what it is.

Sports is the fact of a modern culture, civilized and ordered in some aspects.

Sports is the evidence of specialized society that supports entertainers and sports athletes.

Consider how influential sports is due to opinions from its players, organizers and its business personnel.

I can't help but recognize the majority good, positive, and brighter message that came from this event when compared to the entire season.

I can't but see humanity having gone through turmoil first in order to arrive at respite later.

The games have long been tools to drive public opinion and focus sentiment.

When such a tool is used in a responsible way, that draws on inspiration and peace despite differences, one can see how much more powerful love is than hate.

Comments

Popular Posts