What's That Saying You Said?

Decent advice... could be a parable one day or a coined phrase.
For some odd reason, when I share a link to a friend's post on FaceBook, it is immediately marked as 'spam'.

I usually share news articles, Wikipedia entries, and sometimes a silly gif.

No matter what the source, reputable or generic, they are all being flagged now.

Only on my own wall and in groups I have been invited into can I share links without them being immediately flagged.

I'm sure not too long ago I had shared a link that someone didn't like, or didn't agree with, and I can only guess that enough flags caused an algorithm to be triggered on FaceBook's servers.

What am I to do?

Write a complaint that will only be read by other FaceBook users experiencing the same problem but ignored by FaceBook employees?

Did that.

Realized MANY other people have been experiencing the same issue.

Nothing has changed.

Programmed censorship.

That's fine.
When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Lemonade
- a popular saying in certain places on earth, attributed to Elbert Hubbard
Popular sayings help us out every so often.

We either remember them or someone tells them to us.

But they usually teach us or remind us about a lesson.

Some are poetic, others silly, others ironic, still others quite profound, yet all are simple and short.

Some of these sayings are parables, having a known author, others unknown.

They are passed down throughout time and age, speaking perhaps to specific situations in their time.

Sometimes, the parable speaks eternally and is universally applicable.

In the case of censorship and the rise of hostility in sharing one's point of view, or adding to a discussion certain facts or citations, I think this censoring effort causes an adaption of sorts.

I think for me, instead of complaining about it again after this public mention (I mentioned it a few weeks ago in a single post and in passing in response a few time since then), I considered what kind of lemonade I'll be making instead.

Since words are the most powerful tool on earth, formulating ideas, shaping culture, and literally changing minds and hearts, I'll stick to direct words.

Instead of depending on chance that others would click on a link and educate themselves, I'll bring it to them.

I will simply share the summary of what may be found at a linked source.

I will share my piece (and peace) and cite any particular source, and be done with it.

This is, after all, the effort behind including a link with any particular response.

I'll simply cite the actual source.

This adaptation will actually develop a certain dynamic to be furthered in me.

I would need to work on being more clear, using pinpoint accuracy, and concise.

Instead of citing an entire page where the prospective readers would have to search for what I'm talking about, I would simply highlight the information in my response.

I need to work on my prose anyway.

I need to work on being less elaborative.

I can go on and on and on (as some of these articles show).

As to how my lemonade will taste to others will depend on their particular palate.

If the palate is accustomed to sugary conversation with their usual lemonade, the tang of bitter truth may be a tasty welcome.

The tanginess may also be quickly spat out (which is likely why my responses including links were flagged in the first place).

If the palate is accustomed to acidic conversation with their usual lemonade, the sweet truth may be a tasty welcome.

It could also be quickly spat out.

Either way, my responses will need to be according to the person's place, their identity, ideology, current understanding, and so on... all in my service in becoming all things to them.

Thank you FaceBook for helping me become a stronger writer.

Comments

Popular Posts