Gratitude Returns When Focus Returns


Emotion

noun

a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others

instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge

mid 16th century (denoting a public disturbance or commotion): from French émotion, from émouvoir ‘excite,’ based on Latin emovere, from e- (variant of ex- ) ‘out’ + movere‘move.’ The sense ‘mental agitation’ dates from the mid 17th century, the current general sense from the early 19th century

Very peculiar how the definition has migrated away from an affect onto a crowd ( like from a speaker ) to internal subjective cognition.

This past week, I had an emotional tidal wave hit me.

Some plans that I had my heart set on did not pan out.

Other things which had been amiss for some time were still amiss, and were still out of my control.

I still haven't realized all of the lessons from this week's character failures ( my weak character failures ).

I also have yet to learn the lessons ( I learn the lesson when the lesson isn't repeated ).

I have learned to keep my words to a minimum when a dark cloud attempts to shade my light, for when I unleash many words out of emotion, sin is not far off.

I have yet to learn to navigate new triggers that may cause heavy emotional fallout when new issues are pressed upon current things that have been challenging me for some time.

And what always gets me is the difficulty in praying to the Lord when I should be praying most.

What I do find helpful when the prayerful words and humility aren't available ( when the heart is overwhelmed ), is reading what has already been spoken from Above:
That, however, is not the way of life you learned when you heard about Christ and were taught in Him in accordance with the truth that is in Yeshua. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. 
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need. 
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. 
- Ephesians 4: 20-32
When I read His message to me, including this particular passage, I am reminded of many things.

One is the reality of what has already been established.

What God has established trumps my temporary emotional state and current disappointment.

Now reflecting on the past week and my choices, I learn I had lost sight of these realities.

I had also grown ungrateful for the many good things He has brought to me and has brought me through.

I have learned that I was focused on the little things.

Comments

Popular Posts