Riley's Red Wagon Book Swap - Perks Of An Affluent Neighborhood

I have found some gems at this book exchange over the years.
Today I left 5 times the amount I've borrowed.

Dropped off a large luggage load of books from my shelf this morning in an unusual place.


It felt like the wheeled bag weighed nearly 100 pounds, whether it did or not I won't ever know.

Wheeling it 3/4 of a mile to the bus stop this morning was a bit tasking.

I usually wheel my laundry in using this luggage a couple of blocks to the nearby laundromat, but it never weighs as much as two shelves-worth of books.

I am moving soon, and I have accumulated quite a few things since the last move (four years ago).

I try not to do that, but it happens.

So to avoid a longer process of trying to sell some of these books (or give them away / push them onto other people), I figured this effort would benefit more people and go further.

I consider this a better choice because I have found some desirable books at this book exchange and their content has benefited me.

I hope others will continue to enjoy them as I have.

I've only picked up a few books from this public / free book exchange over the years, yet I find the effort quite noble.

I can also imagine how much good such an effort can do in other neighborhoods, especially the less affluent.
There is perhaps this same amount in storage waiting to be shared.

I kept certain books in my now 90% smaller library because their subjects should not, in my opinion, be widely circulated or popularized.

They have to do with the intrigues of a certain religion argued as 'true' by the use of the sword and any means necessary to justify the ends.

Although some of the books may come across as harmless and exploratory insightful, their manner is more promotional and a justifying effort (like almost all other religious literature attempts to do).

Some other books are by scholars whose content details this particular religion, and these continue to assist me understand things popularly confused.

These scholarly books I have kept help me update certain details on Wikipedia (a thankless job but very important regarding the citations and clarity of things often confused) and my work (this blog).

I kept some Bibles (my maternal grandmother's Bible, my old one of about 20 years and a newer one), but left one at the wagon.

I left a stock trading book (Rolling Stocks) that I found quite good and simple to understand, and a bunch of fiction and non-fiction works.

I kept a few dictionaries (sociology and college preparatory) because I'm a nerd and desire to expand not only my vocabulary, but desire to interest future children of mine towards the discovery of words and their meanings and their etymologies.

Sitting at a nearby coffee shop now, I realized the book wagon had changed locations (now looking up some information on the wagon book exchange in writing this piece).

As soon as I publish this particular article, I'm going back to the old location, pack up maybe a hundred pounds of books into my wheeled luggage caravan, and will push it a few more blocks to the new location (thankfully quite close).

The patron of the book exchange responded to my email and I appreciate his immediate correspondence as well as his effort in promoting education and reading.
The previous location.

Comments

Popular Posts