Socks Up For This Soccer Match

Looking at the entry for "civil religion" from this older sociology dictionary,
notice how words are used to define and make sense of things in life.

It is like another 'language' is developed by the further defining and sense-making
of every day life...whether such things are factual or simply anecdotal is,
as expressed and contested in this very sociology dictionary, interpretive

Recently a friend invited me to watch a soccer game with him.

As a custom I've picked up from the Source, I went along and forgoed what I had in mind to do.

I followed sports as a child.

As an adult, my sports watching is mostly for the community aspect of it (being around another person or a group of people), and less about what is actually happening sports-wise.

My current view on sports can be loosely explained by the definitions I've shared in the images from an old sociology dictionary.

During college and the years with a highly organized church group, my views on sports was not specific.

I didn't give it much thought.

I viewed sports as just another something in the lives of most people... and some 'thing' I had desired to do as a child and dreamed of playing professionally as an adult.

The glory of men.

It was years later when I pursued starting my own business that my perceptions of the world, and life in general, became more critical.

Critical not solely in the negative sense that word usually carries with it, but critical in dissecting meaning behind these standards in life and how they relate to me and how I view them.

Organized sports has become a standard in modern and developed societies, as can be found in ancient times.

As with any other 'thing' in life and extension of humanity, any such 'thing' has its place and its contribution to something considered 'good'.

It is the extremes which bring trouble regarding an otherwise seemingly benign and often times enjoyable activity or 'thing'.

When my friend mentioned “let's watch Islam vs Christianity”, I pondered that thought ... and recalled it as I saw a game played out on a field.

It is funny how a short few words can set the stage of perception.

The game was Iran vs Spain.

My friend is a Spaniard by birth (political geography and identity and the naming of places and people by other men).

He is very much a Spaniard, in love with bull fighting and strong-armed politics.

But not every Spaniard loves bull fighting nor strong-armed politics.

Although my dear friend typically generalizes in his discourse, there exists in the world and in every place on earthy a variety of people with a variety of views.

Other thoughts came to mind.

The Spaniards are possibly distantly related to the Iranians... and if their collective heritage goes back far enough, brothers divided by time and geography will be found.

Much how one man may indeed view Iran playing against Spain in a soccer match as a battle between two religious ideologies, another man may simply view a soccer game and perhaps the star athletes on either team... or bread and circuses... and other thoughts more leaning towards hope and unity rather than conflict and opposition.

But again, the tone of our conversation as we sat watching that soccer game between beers too expensive to fully enjoy brings about thoughts easily laughed at, but too serious when considering how political themes are easily draped over the mundane.

It is these political themes which color reality for common people with common interests across invisible political lines and bonding of the heart (if given the chance).

In going along with my friend to watch a game I wasn't really interested in watching, but going along for the sake of a friend and being kind and serving to them, I also went along with the mentality he currently holds... and I was enriched.

Enriched not in the sense that great wisdom was wrought from watching a game, but rather from chatting with him.

Enriched in the wisdom of learning the ways another human being thinks and feels and lives.

It is an exercise in humility, in sometimes challenging service.

It is an effort in the hope of being mutually edified in some way, but first for them and possibly for me.

Every moment of every day in every circumstance is an opportunity to learn.

We are gifted moment-by-moment opportunities to insights easily missed.

When the heart's sentiment and view is openly shared is when bonds can be strengthened... and one's reflection on their self can be seen by themselves.

What I find is this: when I am trying to help someone else... I find myself being helped.

This reciprocating reality is not the real motivation for going the extra mile with someone, but a surprising instance of how God works.

Comments

Popular Posts