A Cat's Life In The First World

A Neighbor's Outdoor Cat

Yesterday on my path I came across a cat.

As I turned a street corner I noticed this particular cat sitting in the middle of the sidewalk with its back to me, about 50 yards away.

While turning that corner, a sharp noise made by nearby men working on the street startled the cat.

I wondered if the cat thought that noise was from me.

Sure enough, the cat was watching me approach, and starts to look around for an escape route (or so I suspect).

The closer I get, the more steps the cat takes away while looking around and looking back at me approaching.

At about 10 yards away, I make a certain noise with my mouth that I usually do to the animals along my path (dogs, cats, squirrels, birds, etc.).

Immediately the cat makes its way towards me with its guard down; a striking change from moments before.

I stopped and bent over to stroke the back of this new feline friend, calling them “Buddy”.

I was pleased.

I use the term “Buddy” with unknown dogs and cats, and most other creatures I come across.

Sometimes “Little Buddy”, depending maybe on how 'little' they are.

I see many cats that are 'outdoor' cats, seemingly longing to be inside.

I currently reside in a neighborhood where lots of people have dogs and cats as pets, mostly seeing dogs being walked.

I regularly notice 'indoor' cats looking outside from screened windows, seemingly longing to be outside.

The outdoor cats enjoy the freedom of movement, an occasional hunt for a bird, rodent or bug.

But the outdoor cats also have to deal with the consequences of a semi-civilized world.

Fleas and other pests are most likely a guarantee, and disease a strong possibility.

There may be no shortage of excitement and adventure living outside.

The occasional stray dog, or the pet dog that escapes its master's management...or ruthless child, are a few of the potential hazards.

I was such a ruthless child and hazard to small animals (my relatives can attest), and the memory is all too recent when my affection for an animal is rejected.

The indoor cat enjoys tranquility and an effortless supply of food and water.

Depending on who else lives in the house, an indoor cat's life may become more estranged as time goes by, as some solely outdoor cats have come to know.

There seems to be tradeoff between the two worlds (inside and outside).

The benefits and liabilities are relative to each situation, neighborhood, home occupants and other factors.

A great solution to the disparity between the outdoor and indoor is a cat door.

What is a cat door that can bridge two extreme examples in your life?

Comments

Popular Posts