A Hug Can Soften A Hard Surface

In the most unusual of places,
where tons pound the pavement,
a glimmer of hope may be found...
... among the shadows,
in between strict and sharp lines,
light is bound to shine,
to fill our hearts with love.

I think it is so important to stay 'open'.

Staying open is not always easy.

Emotions get in the way.

Doubt.

Fear.

Questions.

Today, my morning was 'made'.

Perhaps my day.

I ran into someone I've seen around town over the years.

He is a seemingly quiet and unassuming gentleman.

This morning as I'm walking about town, I see him and say hello.

I don't think I've ever heard him speak, but his eyes and face seem kind.

He smiles and puts out his fist for the fist bump.

I comply, saying hello.

He then opens his arms.

I go in for the hug.

As we embrace, I can hear and feel a emotional expression from him.

As we break away, he grabs his composure and shows resolve.

I say it is nice to see him again as he walks away.

I go through a myriad of emotions there as I stand watching him walk away.

I become emotional.

I became emotional also when early last year on Valentine's Day I happen to run into him.

That day he first opened his arms to me for a hug.

I complied that time too.

That hug meant a lot to me, as it likely did for him.

Today as he walks away and me thinking about his state and what I felt when embracing him... I wonder how often he gets a hug from anyone.

Human interaction, even any form of touch, is something that some people may take for granted, I think.

For single people, for people with some kind of disease or some other reality that may either scare off others from any kind of interaction or affection, human interaction may be a rarity.

I am not sure if my friend is homeless.

His clothes look simple enough, but I don't notice them soiled nor an uncleanliness from him.

Perhaps he is supported a government program, which can often be a stigmatizer for some people.

There is a place called the Village where several people with mental or psychological disabilities reside.

I'm not sure if this friend of mine resides there, for I've usually seen him near the part of town where I currently reside in.

There are plenty of other places the mentally ill reside in this city, having the freedom to find a place reasonably priced and accommodating their situation.

One thing is for sure: that hug did me good.

It brightened my day, influenced my perception, and softened my heart.

My heart needs continuous softening, as do the hearts of all mankind.

Perhaps this is also why I felt what I felt:
Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. 
- Hebrews 13: 2

Comments

Popular Posts