Revolution of Peace & Action


I keep an open eye and ear when I am traveling on foot.  I am sometimes surprised, sometimes amazed and sometimes shocked by what I see and hear... and by what I sometimes smell.

The other day while I was waiting for the train to arrive, I met a gentleman who asked me about my hat.  I was wearing my Cuba baseball hat.  It was a gift from my grandfather, the patriarch to my relatives of the previous generation.  The man asked if I was Cuban.  I responded in the affirmative without getting into a journey of words and what they really mean according to their definition, I didn't feel like being obnoxious for some reason.  He then says he once dated a Cuban woman.  He adds that she was beautiful and at the same time crazy.  I asked him if she would ever talk about politics, and he confirmed she would all the time.  I said that a lot of trouble happened and most people were never the same... while they blame all the wrong people most of the time.  We then began a very cordial conversation about politics, food, relationships and so on.

I was very encouraged to find out he grows certain fruits and vegetables on the little bit of space he has outside and around his house.  He was telling me how several others in the neighborhood grow different fruits and vegetables and how they all trade amongst themselves.  I had mentioned how people can trade things they do or grow and not have to use paper money, but his sharing what his neighbors do came as a surprise.  It seems that folks are getting a clue and I'm so grateful for this; the sprouts of the peaceful revolution are showing.

Several days later I overhear a conversation between two men as I sat in a diner.  I can't help but overhear what other people are saying when I am at a table for one.  One of the men, about my age, is miserably sharing how he wished he had his own place and his own car.  He says this would be enough to make him happy.  I can't help but reflect about the material things I think will make me happy.  He says he wishes he didn't have to work and then says he has no choice.  He also shares how he looks forward to going to the race track in hopes of winning some money.  He mentions how he needs to be more disciplined with his money.  He knows the answer to his dilemma, but I wonder if he will act on the solution.  The other gentleman, a bit older, says he should be grateful for what he does have; his health, a place to sleep and a job... but also mentions his own desire to make it to the track and try his luck as well.  These men both know the solution to their dilemma of managing themselves in this time of material wants despite their sobering needs.

In case you haven't noticed, there is a revolution going on.  It is quite subtle.  It isn't easily noticeable.  It has been going on for quite some time.  Yet, this revolution isn't one which sheds blood, for that has already happened.  Neither is this revolution one where more laws are written or more restrictions will be placed upon others.  At the same time, this revolution isn't one where laws will be discounted and ignored. 

We are in the midst of a revolution of the heart ( first and foremost ), then of the mind, then of the body.  For it is in your heart where you realize what is and what isn't, it is in your mind you make the decisions to pursue what is and ignore what is not... and it is with your body you act.

Act in the Way of love... and put your hand to the plow. 

Comments

Popular Posts