We Are All Works In Progress

It is very interesting what one sees when walking.  I have traveled down the same paths in a car and haven't noticed half of what I do when I'm walking those same paths.  I don't think anyone can really get to know the city they live in, the neighborhood they reside in and the people who are your neighbors unless they walk around.  There is a disconnect when traveling in a metal box ( car ).  Sure, not everyone feels safe walking the streets / neighborhoods they can drive a car through, but there's a part of humanity that may be missed when not taking a closer look on foot.  There is a part of yourself that you may be neglecting, considering we are all one.

One may not appreciate what they have or where they live unless they travel through other neighborhoods.  The opposite could also be said and be true.  One may not realize what they don't have or where they don't live unless they travel through other neighborhoods. 

This morning I walked a few miles north and west from where I currently call home.  It was very interesting what I saw.  I saw people giving away free clothes.  I saw the houses and the property lots get smaller.  I saw the maintenance of properties diminish.  The wear and tear of time, sun, wind and rain being evident on houses and apartments alike.  I saw friendly people.  I saw people who were afraid to make eye contact.  I saw graffiti on the floor and on walls.  I also saw beautiful murals untouched by vandalism and speaking many things though being still and unchanging.

In seeing the things I saw, one could describe them as good and not so good.  But reflecting on what I did see, I was able to make a mental and spiritual thought about them.  I was able to pray.  I was able to pray for people and things I saw and heard. 

The highlight of the morning was speaking to a woman who was helping me close a business transaction.  I forgot how we got on the topic but I mentioned being married and she also said she was married as well.  I began to speak of all the wonderful things of married life.  When she asked how my wife and I met, here began an hour's worth of gratitude to God for maneuvering myself and my wife into becoming one.  The woman was very grateful to hear my good news and my gratitude. 

What really touched my heart was when she expressed how she wished to have a husband who prayed with her.  She says she's noticed her husband change for the better over the years regarding her faith.  She also lamented at how she yearned to be treated as I shared the manner in which I treat my wife.  I was sure to encourage her that we are all works in progress and shared certain passages of Scripture which speak to the faithful wife who has an unbelieving husband... and how God here too works His love and grace.  I asked her to stay faithful to God and her husband so her husband may soon be overcome with the love that God has for both of them and be grateful for the grace God has had for him all this time.

Comments

Popular Posts