Democracy Of Two


Id' like to share about what a democracy of two means to me.

My wife and I make a singular union; we are two minds with two hearts operating as one.  We understand that deciding on anything of relative importance on our own would be inconsiderate of the other 'half' of the one.  The word 'compromise' may come to your mind.  That term sometimes has negative connotations attached to it, especially in today's cynical and sometimes broken notion of relationships.

I don't really see the negative connotation of 'compromise' when I let my wife decide what we should eat.  I sometimes eat the same thing over and over again, not venturing to widen my horizons.  She also has allowed my suggestions broaden her food horizons where previously she wouldn't had dared to try ( like sushi / raw fish ).

In practicing 'democracy of two' with my wife, I've learned to really listen and consider her suggestions and opinions regarding more important decisions.  The dynamic we have; me being the leader of the family, being personally subject and answerable to God, and according to His order she being subject to me, greater responsibility is beckoned from me rather than from her.  This theme is seen in the majority of cultures, societies and peoples in times past, regardless of religious perspectives.

And the rare time I make a bad choice ( joke ), she patiently follows me, being faithful to the Lord and to me.  It is in her patience and obedience to His order that I am able to learn from my bad choices while appreciating her wise suggestions I missed.

Wisdom is given a female gender in Scripture for a reason.  Have you noticed?

Does not wisdom call out?  Does not understanding raise her voice?

- Proverbs 8: 1

Comments

Popular Posts