The Human Element: Policeman B. Woods




It is interesting what happens when you open your heart, your mind and your eyes to see where others are coming from.  I noticed a police car parked in front of my residence.  After asking I find out a car is about to be towed.  I went inside and I pondered the opportunity of asking the police officer his thoughts on audio and video cameras on his person.  I went outside and was surprised to find an enthusiastic man ready to respond fully to my inquiry.

He stepped out of his car and began to explain the pros and cons in an educated and level-headed manner.  I began to see past the automatic pessimism that has been rising among the public regarding the police.  I began to see this man’s earnestness in desiring to do his job in an honorable way.  He mentioned how having such a recording device on his person on at all times would make personal calls to his wife impossible.  He mentioned how he doesn’t actually have a lunch or bathroom break, but makes the effort in ways he could in between calls. 

He mentioned how, being Catholic, he understands all people are fallible and bound to fail at any given point and time.  He said this not to excuse himself or others like him in their work, but to show that he does aim to do what is right according to his conscience.  He acknowledged an average of 12 officers being fired a year from the city for their dishonorable ways.

I realized he was a human being, having with a family at home and a desire to be the good guy.  He chose the vocation to be the buffer between the defenseless and the offenders.  I saw his side and I made a friend.

Comments

Popular Posts