Everlasting Encouragement



When I was a senior at Winston Churchill High school in San Antonio, Texas, my English teacher Mrs. McCullough asked me if I ever considered pursuing a writing career. I was practically lifted out of my desk! At that tender age, it was one of the most encouraging suggestions from a teacher. She said this after reading a paper I had written. I had my share of challenges in high school. I really opened up with great detail about what was going on in my life. I will never forget that moment.

Thank you Mrs. McCullough.

The irony with what this fantastic teacher suggested I consider was what was to happen later that year; I would fail the state's essay exit exam! It seems I never learned how to write an essay in the expected format, or whoever read my essay didn't think I followed the proper essay guideline. I was floored. After my mom and older sister made some phone calls, paying $50.00 for a review, I was 'passed.' I remember seeing other students in anguish having received the same news. Whoever didn't pass and, wasn't able to pass the paid review, was restricted from walking with the class in the gowns at year's end.

I always held the thought of being a writer in my heart and in the back of my mind. I wasn't sure if I would be up to it. I didn't think by expressing myself onto paper was anything valuable. I did think that perhaps years later after having lived a life worth sharing, with something to say, I would be able to put something to paper at least half interesting.

The loving way Mrs. McCullough responded to my emotional plea on paper is something I will never forget!

God bless you Mrs. McCullough.

Comments

Popular Posts