Choose Love & Forgiveness

The other day I learned a great lesson.  My wife and I were traveling together when she remembers she had to get to the bank as soon as possible to make a deposit in someone’s account.  It was already 6:30pm on a Friday.  Most banks close at five or six.  I quickly asked, in a not so positive or caring tone, if it was her ‘brother again?’  She responded quickly with a hurt and insulted defensive stance.  She wasn’t too happy with the manner in which I delivered my question.  I followed up my pestered attitude by justifying my heart stating her brother had been forgetful and irresponsible in the past and here we were once again picking up the slack and running like wild to find a bank open at this time. 

We went back and forth and I began to realize the topic was sensitive and I was holding strong to my position and point of view as she was hers.  She said it was actually a cousin of hers and not her brother.  Our typically joyful and carefree dynamic had quickly soured.  I had a choice to make.
 
As I step out of the vehicle to see if a grocery store’s bank was still open, I notice she didn't wait for me to open her door for her as usual.  She didn’t get out of the vehicle on her own because we were in a rush, but because of what I said and how I had led her heart to be at that very moment.  I really had a choice to make and I had to make it quickly! 

I was wrong in assuming it was her brother ‘again.’  I also realized I did in fact deliver a few words in an unloving and spiteful manner.  I was wrong in a few other ways.  I had forgotten who we were and who we had decided to be for others.  As I approached her, I decided to nip this growing chasm in the bud right then and there. 

I held her in my arms, I looked her in her beautiful dark caramel eyes and said something to the effect that I was sorry and I was wrong for what I said and the manner in which I said it.  I asked her to please not let this moment derail our evening.  I said we can choose to put my error and my misunderstanding behind us right this moment and enjoy our time together like we always do; in love. 

I realized the Lord had gifted me someone very special when she smiled and accepted the kiss I had waiting for her.   

I had swallowed my pride, and although it didn’t taste good ( and never does ), it was the best piece of humble pie I had swallowed to-date.  I was grateful to God; he allowed me to clearly ‘see’ the situation, he helped me choose the right thing to do, he helped me choose the right words to say and he graced me with the right delivery of those words. 

The rest of our evening was as spectacular as any other evening, filled with hugs, laughter, prayer, deep conversation, light conversation and kisses all throughout. 

Comments

Popular Posts