Fitting The Archetype

I wanted to be different things at different stages in my life.  Watching television religiously growing up and catching shows such as CHiPs made me dream of becoming a police officer... on a bike.  I still get goose bumps hearing that funky disco theme song and watching the images of them speeding along the freeway.  I so much wanted to be like Ponchorello with the sideburns, cool and easy going attitude and all the attention that would come with the prestige of that occupation ( as depicted in that show ). 

The few times I went to work with my uncle during school summer break had me hooked on wanting to become a truck driver.  The process of making sure everything was in order prior to rolling onto the road, checking mechanical lines and making sure all the lights worked and such was like a surgeon preparing for an operation; everything had to be in working order.  Sitting atop everyone else in traffic was also a sight to see.  The height from the seat of an eighteen-wheeler tractor and trailer is quite high, nearly scraping the bottom of bridges, tree limbs and traffic signals.  Maneuvering such a massive piece of machinery in between those two lines of any given lane isn't easy.  My uncle was quite the lady's man so the stories he would tell me was also part of the mystique of the 'job' and I could easily see myself extending the storyline adventures he would share with me.

My preteen years, knowing my dad worked for a major airline and watching him eventually build his own airplane from scratch, had me dreaming of joining the U.S. Airforce as he did in his late teens.  I dreamed of surpassing his short tenure in becoming a fighter jet pilot ( he worked on aircraft ).  Watching the movie TopGun was such a 'sell' to my dream of being a pilot for it fed my ego, my desire for adventure and gave me a glimpse of what life must be like for a military guy in such a key position.  I have seen that movie literally over 50 times and used to be able to repeat the dialogue word for word... yes, I was that nerdy about it.  I could tell you all the continuity failures as well.

Getting near my teenage years my brother-in-law had a couple of dirt bikes and he taught me how to ride a motorcycle... and guess what?  I wanted to be the next pro motocross champion!  I would buy every magazine there was on the topic, would read them cover to cover and eventually memorize all of the rider's names, their numbers and other tidbits, much like memorizing baseball cards is to baseball fans.  I begged my dad to buy me a dirt bike and I would ride the trails behind our house practicing the moves and skills I would read about in the magazines. 

During high school I discovered my cousin was a musician and was in awe at his ability to play the guitar.  I would engross myself with thoughts of being in a band and my air guitar and air drums was second to none.  The dream of female attention, money and respect from wannabes were the lures in me considering such a path.  In high school I began to study music in college and would eventually learn how to play the guitar, the drums, the bass, some piano and other percussive instruments while developing a high lyric baritone voice.  I desired the dream of rock-stardom and had my time in rock bands on and off throughout my twenties and early thirties, living that life and enjoying and regretting all that comes from doing as your peers do. 

I had other aspirations growing up like being a football player, a priest, a professional bass fisherman and other things... yet it wasn't until my college years that I realized what I was doing.  I was trying to look up to someone, to emulate someone or some 'thing.'  With the motorcycle cop aspiration, I was desiring not only to look good and be cool but actually do good to others and get rid of bad guys.  This carried over with the heroic jet fighter persona marketed in that movie.  The truck driver thing was in respecting a relative and wanting to reflect a masculine role in my life... and my uncle let me into his life in this way.  Riding dirt bikes with my brother-in-law was allowing me passage into that man's life and thoughts.  I wasn't receiving this directly from my dad as I naturally desired ( I say children have a natural desire to be filled by both their parents ).  Since that was missing I would seek that out in any way I could.  When I became older and my sarcastic attitude toward life ripened I saw the musician lifestyle as perfectly suitable to my overall world view.  I drew as much as I could from my cousin in forming my own persona. 

When I finally realized I was attempting to draw from sources in developing my own image of 'who' I am or rather who I wanted to be / become, the timing couldn't have been better when I began to discover who Yeshua truly was.  I knew the story, but I had no idea who this Yeshua was.  I have heard of the accomplishments but didn't understand what those meant and in which manner they had anything to do with my personal life or with me personally.  I came to realize I had been searching for fulfillment and drawing from less than adequate sources in this search.  Although the men in my life did provide for entertainment, for purpose and for reasoning at any given point and time in my life... I had come to learn that the timeless fulfillment of purpose had been drawing me to Yeshua the entire time. 

The message, the love and the peace in Yeshua encompasses all walks of life, all vocations and all roles anyone has or would desire to play in this curtain call we dub "life."  One doesn't have to be a priest to be next to Christ... or even a pastor or some other religious title, for Christ engulfs the believer to the extent that the believer desires to be like Christ.  I want it all ( in and according to Christ ).  I want the full experience and I desire to forsake all other roles, titles and novelties to realize that purpose... and in some amazing way, this choice isn't to produce a safe life but quite the opposite.  The choice isn't to be hidden away like a monk in a distant monastery seeking a sinless life, for that isn't the calling.  The choice is by all accounts a pouring out of one's life for the sake of another / others.  I am ready for the challenge of such a life. 

May you who read this also be ready and willing for such a wonderful and full life.

I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.  They will come in and go out, and find pasture.  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

- John 10:9-10

Comments

Popular Posts