His Will Within His Magnificent Menagerie

Menagerie: / noun / a strange or diverse collection of people or things.

I remember desiring to find God in my early 20's.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

- Jeremiah 29:11-13

Actually, when I really think about it now, I've been looking for Him my entire life, even thinking to become a priest while in grade-school, for that was the earliest notion of being close to God I had in mind at the time.  I began to exude the real effort in my early 20's as a young adult when I realized choice outside of parental guidance and influence.  I began to take a closer look at the world around me and began desiring something real aside from the facades all about me... the facades which I had previously lusted after and would later found myself trapped in.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

- Matthew 5:6

Although growing up as what is called a 'catholic,' I had never really met anyone who somewhat resembled Christ in their life other than maybe my maternal grandmother ( I know, a very biased opinion, but her serving attitude, silence when my grandfather would speak and ceaseless love for me was something that begged my respect and admiration as I grew older ).  It was her tireless example of patience and love and later those who would, in my early 20's, speak to me about Christ and share their hearts with me that began to awaken a conscience of sorts within me.

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?  And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?  And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?  And how can anyone preach unless they are sent?  As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

- Romans 10:14-15

The priest at the catholic church 'looked' like a holy man in his long and flowing robed outfit, much like any religion's front-man and sage.

Although this man had a resounding tone as it echoed with authority and mystery in the expanse of the cathedral building, I didn't know that man any more than I knew the vendor selling me ice-cream from his ice-cream truck.  I attribute the 2nd Timothy scripture to those who resemble godliness by their outer appearance only but are enigmas to the public otherwise).

Having a form of godliness but denying its power.

- 2 Timothy 3:5a

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!  You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.  In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

- Matthew 23:27-28 

I didn't know the man personally, so I cannot say this particular priest was the definition of the prior passages.  I'd like to point out these are instructions to not judge the exterior by what is in the interior and also be aware that a nice exterior means nothing regarding the interior.  People are people and none is perfect before God, no matter how lovely they look or how nice they appear.

When I did have a conference with him and my mother regarding my behavior reported by my sixth-grade teacher ( a nun ), it was him who recommended me to a military school so I may gain the discipline the nuns and faculty weren't able to instill in me.  This, mind you, was his recommendation after me serving the church religiously as an altar boy for years; holding the book for him to read during church twice a week ( once a week with the schoolkids and every Sunday with the public ).

Once in high-school a teacher went out of their way to write me a short note with a quote of some historically famous person when I found myself in jeopardy of not graduating on the basis of an exit exam... and their effort in my time of trouble has stuck with me to this day... even though it was a brief blurb scribbled on a small piece of paper off their desk.  Perhaps my memory doesn't recall but I don't remember the priest speaking to me about my rebellion or insistence to undermine the nun during class, and whether it did happen but I don't recall and now wonder if it would have helped me.

What I do know is I took the occupation of an altar boy very seriously and I would be repulsed with disgust when the other altar boys would misbehave behind the scenes with their perverted talk, threats and cursing.  I was the smallest / shortest / youngest, so I was the one carrying the cross in and out during the 'service' and so on and I took great honor in doing so.  Nonetheless, the administration office didn't get the priest's memo when my mom received a call early the next fall asking about my whereabouts when I wasn't present for the seventh grade session.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bitter rant by definition ( yeah right ), but merely an explanation that although that man was supposed to be an example to me and the believers, I didn't know him personally outside of customary religious activities and he didn't really know me, but here he had suggested I go to military school... practically handing me over to the world, and that decision of his pushed me away from that entire organization... and this was God's will.

Yet, when I consider all things in light of God's grace, His grace surpasses our shortcomings as well as the trespasses of others... and I realize my journey thus far has been purposed according to His will... even what I considered disasters, challenges, struggles and defeats.  I would not have been able to identify what was ritual and religious from what is righteous and real if not for the experiences I've had thus far... and surely I pray no condemnation or ill fate to those who have crossed me in life... even the religious who, possibly according to all they know, were doing what was asked of them to deepen my view of God.

In order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Yeshua.  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

- Ephesians 2:7-9

What really reached me ( what God had destined for me ), for I believe God has set me on a narrower path than the typical sheep, was a group of young adults at a junior college who not only preached the Word...

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

- Romans 10:17

... but actually became my friends in sharing their life, their hearts, their experiences, their time...

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business.  Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

- John 15:13

They not only 'knew' the Word of God...

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 

- 2 Timothy 2:15

... but also strove to LIVE and ACT like Christ in their daily lives!

To the Jews who had believed him, Yeshua said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples."

- John 8:31

Whoever claims to live in him must live as Yeshua did.

- 1 John 2:6

Believe me, I was scrutinizing and keeping a watchful eye for the smallest slip-up from them in any way since I was weaned on judging by outer appearances.  I had believed the story of Christ as it was taught to me at the catholic school, but I wasn't about to step much further from the storyline and sequence of events I already believed in chasing after these proselytizers.  I had no idea of anything in the scriptures other than some bits and pieces of the narration.  It was these folks who actually helped me realize the bigger picture of what God had done and was doing.  This is what converted my heart to be born again... and this was God's will.

A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical.  No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code.  Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

- Romans 2:28-29

It was their real-life examples and seeing the scriptures come to life in them, along with the penetrating and regenerating power of the Spirit of God by-way of His Word, which reached me like no religion or repetitive ritual did.

For the word of God is alive and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight.  Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

- Hebrews 4:12-13

These were the living proofs of Christ I needed to witness in order to exude efforts in becoming more like Christ!

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship.  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

- Romans 12:1-2

You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Yeshua Christ. 

- 1 Peter 2:5

I share this to state: has anyone on the other side of the world ( or someone pertaining to something other than what is called Christianity ), who grew up under a religion such as what is called Islam ( or any other religion or point of view ), had the opportunity to SEE a living example of Christ? 

I dare to ponder they 'may have' seen a living example of righteousness outside of what is preached about Christ!  Yet, God's grace to those who do right although living apart from the law or not having the full gospel preached to them, God mentions words to them who desire righteousness and have yet to either 'hear' about Christ or see a Christ-like example in their lives:

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.  Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

- James 1:26-27

Something to the effect of being judged by God outside of something not yet known is mentioned here:

All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.  For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.  (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.  They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)  This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Yeshua Christ, as my gospel declares.

- Romans 2:12-16

I wonder, would righteous, pious people, desiring to do what is right because God has put 'right' on their hearts, be judged according to something they never had the opportunity to experience?  From what I read in the above two passages, I think not.  Would they be judged due to the fact they grew up in a political system that denied anything outside of what that hegemony desired?

Wouldn't they be judged according to what they knew at the time they existed and also according to what was laid upon their conscience by God?

Has not God created all things and is in absolute control of all things, including all peoples at all times?

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

- Colossians 1:16

I see that God has done things and has allowed each of us to experience Him according to what He wills.

For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

- Philippians 2:13

Here is testimonial evidence that God reaches those who have seemingly impossible chances to see or hear about Yeshua... and I find the genuine message herein to be a glimpse into how vast, wide and expansive God's kingdom is... for the believer will surely be surprised and amazed when they arrive before His presence to find many who their particular religion would have said "no chance" to.... for God knows who His children are and His kingdom is not visible to the human eye nor to man's logic.

Yeshua replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

- John 3:3

Yeshua answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.  Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.  You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

- John 3:5-7

Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Yeshua replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”

- Luke 17:20-21

Praise His Holy Name you who consider the testimony of His rising from death to be a myth or something to entertain others by.

Praise His Holy Name you who hold close to a religion which condemns strangers and judges men by their exterior appearance.

Praise His Holy Name you who have considered to follow His narrow Way, for your reward will be great and beyond your understanding!  He rewards the faithful with things this world cannot come close to offering and brings peace to the heart and conscience like no earthly ethereal notion can... and this is God's will for your life:

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other Name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.

- Acts 4:12

The choice to embark on the journey is yours... I suggest taking that road less traveled.

Comments

Popular Posts