Mediums And Messages

These Two Images / Mediums Contain Messages.
Interpretation May / May Not Follow Intended Messages

I eventually focused on Mass Communication in college after studying music and religion and other subjects.

I decided not to retake the English writing test to receive my degree.

I failed the first and only time I took the exam, most likely due to the stress of losing the patriarch of the family; my maternal grandfather Leonardo Severo Garcia.

It is ironic that I currently write as a profession.

Perhaps in the eyes of some people, not having a degree immediately disqualifies my opinions as only that; mere opinions without substance.

I did learn a few things, like finding adequate support for any given argument.

It was more a personal political decision and an aim from pride (two less-than honorable justifications I now see as immature) not completing what I started.

I had my mind (and heart) set on starting my own business the final two years at the university and justified the eventual success of that pursuit as proof I didn't need a piece of paper hanging from a wall to qualify me for success.

A personal / political issue in my mind.

I did complete all the undergraduate work with a decent grade-point-average, so it really wasn't much of a revolutionary stance I was taking.

A braver effort would have been no college at all, but my mom begged me to go...and I'm glad I listened to her.

An education can be quite priceless.

More valuable if the teachings are learned and lessons understood.

I think lots of folks receive an education, but don't learn much.

The education I acquired developed in me its intended purpose: some competency (if I may)...and other things I'm sure.

I learned some invaluable lessons while studying media and how suggestive it can be, whether covert, overt or otherwise.

It's all psychological.

I was quite impressed and surprised when realizing how the world has been influenced by modern media for some generations now.

It doesn't take much to get the ball rolling...a gigantic snowball starts out tiny, much like a hurricane starts as a breeze.

Media has existed since ancient times in different forms and in lesser degrees.

An example of an old media form was a king's decree posted at central locations throughout the realm; public squares and similar.

Media is the manner messages are disseminated.

The “Medium is the Message” was coined by Marshall McLuhan, a professor of media and its affect on people's thinking.

Recently meeting a 12 year old grandson of a friend, I noticed this pre-teen playing a video game on his phone.

I couldn't help but notice how the game was quite political and insightful regarding Today's challenges, despite the humorous way these issues are presented.

This was the game.

Much how political realities were taught to me in junior high school through the university years, it wasn't until I tasted real life for myself that these teachings began to become lessons.

“Real life” meaning when I entered the workforce as an adult, and later starting my own businesses and dealing with adverse attitudes, prejudice, an unpredictable market, and so forth.

The profound and important issues being messaged through the medium of that game to a generation that will be managing the world very soon was surprising to me.

I wonder how long it will take my friend's grandson (or his generation) to learn the lessons after the initial teaching.

Comments

Popular Posts