Not To Be A Friend Of Fools

Small print below the advert...
... is the wisdom behind the foolishness...
... aimed at bringing all into one...
... as He is One.
Yet all must come willingly, since God forces no one to love.

I still have so much to learn.

There are times I perceive to have achieved, or think to myself I have gone two steps forward with others, when instead realizing I've actually been standing still.

I have, instead, been doing the following:
Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. 
If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. 
- Matthew 7: 6
In my aim at making friends, being kind and gracious to every human being I cross paths with, I have often times become a fool.

In my desire to build community, I have been slapped in the face (metaphorically).

This shouldn't be surprising when I consider He who lives in me and how He was treated.

It should not be surprising when people you suspected to be your friend turn on you and make wild accusations, or disrespect you, or reveal the true condition of their heart, or how little their faith is, or how utterly confused they are.

It should not be surprising how when being around them, you too may falter or reflect their foolishness.

To expect others to treat you as you treat them is foolish.

Why?

Because the teaching is the other way around:
Do to others as you would have them do to you. 
- Luke 6: 31
If Christ was disrespected when He occupied the vessel of flesh, even by some supposedly close and loyal to Him, it will surely happen to those who proclaim His Name as Holy, as Above all other names, and the very Name of God.

But oh how I lack wisdom, discernment, self-control.

I have found myself falling into disgrace when surrounded by fools.
Live in harmony with one another. 
Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. 
Do not be conceited. 
- Romans 12: 16
Fools are not measured by their wealth.

If wealth was a measurement of wisdom, then all wealthy people would also be perfect in word and deed, or at least have the ability to convey such in a noble manner.

By contrast, the noble are not only found among the downtrodden or the poor.

Nor are the 'educated' the only gracious people you'll find.

In my aim to reflect the teachings of righteousness, I have repeatedly experienced vile responses.

The poor manners of others tempting me also to return their mad vitriol in full.

But that is not the Way.

Besides the darkness that resides in some of the people I have crossed paths with, I have realized it has been my complacency that I continue to suffer foolishness from familiar faces.

It is I who has been resisting making new friends, for those I may label 'friend' may have already been rejected by God (or have not yet been called, or something else that is not my aim to worry about).

My complacency has me foolishly throwing pearls to pigs and granting them further opportunity to ridicule and mock the Lord.

I don't count them my enemies nor sealed for damnation since I don't know their personal fate.

The fact is that God grants repentance at any time to anyone regardless of their past or current state... and it is not my place to ponder their salvation.

Thus I also leave a door open as Christ left a door open... but not as a friend to their foolishness, nor a companion to their persistent resistance to honest reason.

A person's character is often times recognizable during an initial meeting.

But over time, the secrets of the heart eventually show themselves.

Not all who are 'educated' or 'wealthy' are actually occupying high positions, but can be the lowest of the low.

Much the same those lacking earthly wealth or a mental data base usually honored by listeners of many words are not automatically occupying a low position.
Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. 
- Proverbs 13: 20
Yet it is I who chooses to sit with fools... and I think I've learned my lesson after today's experience... an experience revealing a repeated theme I've been not desiring to face.

It is I who, going about things in a way that is comforting (seeing familiar faces) has me compromising His dignity.

It has been my reluctance to keep plowing fields I have yet to traverse.

This teaching now strikes me solidly in the face, and I am so glad to be reminded of it:
If you find honey, eat just enough—too much of it, and you will vomit. 
Seldom set foot in your neighbor’s house—too much of you, and they will hate you. 
- Proverbs 25: 16-17
I can go to extremes sometimes... or often times I show a faulty pattern in my human nature.

I see patterns much easier in others, and in this world, and the natures of men and their putrid ways.

But to see them in myself is not so easy.

To be reminded of the patterns I have yet to unwind, or those that may never be resolved no matter how much I try... can be discouraging.

For such frailty is His grace there.

I can do nothing but thank Him, be grateful, and praise His Holy Name!

Perhaps today's lesson, repeated yet again to me, will be finally learned in my flesh so His Spirit may lead me elsewhere.

May I truly live out the perfect example of how to love others and, when love is rejected, to graciously leave in peace and bless them.

May I not resent others when it is I who has yet to learn how best to deal with resistance (or realize it is time to dust my sandals off and move forward).

May I grow at least one step away from my past patterns, and may my thorns not become thorns for others.

Comments

Popular Posts