Are You Naturally Selected?

Yesterday I returned to the cigar lounge I found last week ( I say 'found' but it had existed there for over 25 years prior to me calling it my own ).  The games were not on teevee but the news was.  Some interesting conversations came about as we saw the continued coverage of the Ebola fear programming.  Two of the gentlemen I sat and discussed things with were thinking of changing their travel plans since diseased patients were being transported to the states they had considered traveling to.  And I don't think they were joking.  I mention how, although the threat of sickness from this particular disease is real, notice should be taken of how the 'news' keeps with up with this story while ignoring all the other things happening in the world.  Another thing to take note of is how teevee watchers can't help but have this as their foremost thought in their minds and as the topic of conversation.  And as I've heard in that lounge, some are changing their plans due to what the teevee is telling them, fear being the basis of their choices.

Earlier in the day, before leaving the house, I had continued my reading and searching of obscure writings from the early disciples.  I've been doing this to get a glimpse of the world they were experiencing, their perceptions of the mystery revealed in Christ and to determine if what they shared was kosher or not ( or why some parts were included while others were not, of course according to my current view of these things ).  I was reading about Ignatius and how he was torn to pieces by lions when judged in Rome.  He knew this would be the way in which he would be executed and he wrote several letters to the current churches in hopes of encouraging them.  It is amazing to read about his steadfast faith and how he wasn't afraid to die, even being ravaged by wild animals.  He was looking forward to being with God the moment that ordeal was over.  When I ponder his state of mind, I wonder how trivial my worries and gripes are when considering others were being killed for their efforts in forwarding the message of faith in Christ.  How trivial indeed... and embarrassing are my current issues.

On my walk to the downtown area, I stopped by a hardware store looking for those 'push' and 'pull' signs folks put on doors.  The proprietor at the cigar lounge reminds customers who are entering the cigar room to push to enter, but within moments they are pulling to enter.  She rolls her eyes as a response and my response is to laugh.  Sometimes, without signs, folks don't know exactly what to do.  So I thought it would be funny, encouraging and helpful to get her these signs for her place of business.  When I do arrive at her lounge after breaking bread with a new friend, I tell her I have a surprise for her and I follow that saying I hope she is not offended for I thought this would help her if she chose to use it.  I ask her to close her eyes and out of my computer bag I pull out the two signs.  As she opens her eyes she can't help but laugh loudly... as do I.  She was very happy to have received these and I was so glad that she was happy to now have them.  She's very welcoming to every customer and knows her business well.  She does a great job of speaking to people from various  backgrounds. 

Prior to arriving at the cigar lounge, I'm on my way to yet another favorite coffee shop to do some work.  I run into a gentleman who asks for some loose change to buy some food and a new shirt.  I tell him I don't have any cash or coins but I would gladly buy him a meal if he'd like.  He agrees to my counter-offer and we proceed to the coffee shop.  Some people I pass on my path are not as bold to ask for help or perhaps are tired / embarrassed to ask for help.  From my experience, many are drowning in mental anguish from what has become of their life or some even already had mental storms which ushered them into living on the streets.  I hope to be this man's friend for as long as he hangs around and hope to help him in all ways I am equipped and capable of doing.  ( I share this experience not to boast of good deeds done, for the few I do share publicly are only for teaching purposes and not to express how 'good' I am or any other such vain conceit ).

Prior to breaking bread, he is unsure if I am open to sharing a table with him and stays standing as I have already set up my computer at a table for four.  I motion with my hand for him to join me for the meal which will be brought to us momentarily.  This is the hardest part for most people, as I too am challenged at times when speaking to those in need.  It is much easier to show a smile and hand over some change without engaging in conversation.  Yet, I must encourage you ( the reader ) that as with anything else in life, practice perfects the intention.  I've learned to keep a calm and friendly face regardless of what is shared with me, not easily reflecting my thoughts or emotions by facial expressions, for anything outside of content may hurt the person sitting across from you and further whatever trial they are experiencing.  He expresses he doesn't have a high school diploma and this reality makes him believe finding regular employment would be impossible.  I encourage him by pointing out the manner in which he is speaking.  He is quite the intellectual and kind speaker from what I can tell by his delivery.  I tell him that this gift isn't easily taught in school and many who have degrees in management or have experience dealing with people don't have the natural ability and ease of delivery he has.  I encourage him further in ways he can approach business owners for opportunities, suggesting he should offer his labor or any other talents in exchange for things of necessity, not so much simply money.  Many people cannot creatively think outside the box of only trading money for goods and services, so I suggest to him to make a creative approach where someone may not need or have the means to hire someone.  By posing options and opening a door for creativity, their heart may be open to helping and they both may come to an agreement to having some work done in exchange for meals, clothing, etc.  He likes the ideas and suggestions I've shared with him and thanks me for the time and the meal.

I finish the work I needed to do at the coffee shop and go around the corner to the cigar lounge.  After some time and several customers, a gentleman and his friend arrive and sit to enjoy a cigar and a conversation with the other patrons.  He's from Chicago and I am able to join in the conversation of places to eat while in Chicago and I also suggest places in Long Beach he may find interesting and enjoyable.  After them arrives more gentlemen who sit for a while and once again the Ebola topic comes up.  This time the three other gentlemen sitting there share their thoughts, ranging from a sinister plan to depopulate the planet ( which I've heard and researched ) to the teevee news not sharing much other than fear about this disease ( I've researched this method of mind control and people management ) and other ideas about how drug companies will surely profit from all the chaos, sickness, vaccines and treatments ( while not focusing on cures, which I too have noticed to be a pattern at times ).  The tone is dreary and after some time I can't help but ask out loud if there are any solutions.  Very few ideas are spoken.  I do follow the notion one man brings up that nature / creation has a way of correcting imbalances and this outbreak of disease, like others throughout recorded history, may very well be a response to the mismanagement and trespasses of mankind.  I say how man, although holding attributes which are seen to be above the rest of creation, is not separate but is in fact a part of creation.  I mention how man, in arrogance, does things with certain aims in mind that do not always coincide with the natural world and in most cases negatively affects others and nature.

Man is not wholly distinct from nature, but is a very important creation among the rest of creation.  Man is a shepherd of men and animals, to ensure things go well, not to only look after selfish interests.  Man is a farmer who is to work the ground in order to feed himself and others, not simply see the world as a business opportunity and other people as commodities.  Man is a manager of things brought about by other men in order to help one another, not simply leverage all things possible to benefit only himself.  When the balance of nature and mankind falls out of sync, people shouldn't be surprised when certain issues begin to arise and get out of hand.  The world around us has a way of reminding us that we have a higher purpose when our lower desires get ahead of us.

The question is not whether those in positions of power and influence will 'do the right thing,' but it is more a question to the individual, on the personal level, if you will do the right thing.  It is those who do the right thing which are 'naturally' selected, although they may perish in the flesh, as did Ignatius and the One Ignatius was imitating.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

- Matthew 11:28-30

Comments

Popular Posts