Drowning Man by U2

Lyrics from the song Drowning Man by U2 and their corresponding message:

Take my hand, You know I'll be there, If you can

Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand – Psalm 73:23

I'll cross the sky for your love

There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides across the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty – Deuteronomy 33:26

For I have promised, Oh, to be with you tonight, And for the time that will come

Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you – Deuteronomy 31:6

And teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age – Matthew 28:20

And I understand

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet he did not sin – Hebrews 4:15

These winds and tides, This change of times, Won't drag you away

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Yeshua our Lord – Romans 8:38-39

Hold on, and hold on tightly, Hold on, and don't let go, Of my love

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you – Isaiah 41:13

The storms will pass, It won't be long now

He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed – Psalm 107:29

For, “In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay” - Hebrews 10:37

His love will last, His love will last... forever
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations – Psalm 100:5

Give you what I hold dear

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all – how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? – Romans 8:32

Rise up, rise up, With wings like eagles, You run, you run, You run and not grow weary

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint – Isaiah 40:31

It is interesting how we sometimes find the message of God's love weaved into popular culture, broadcast on mainstream airwaves and not always hidden or obscured, but ready and available to be heard.  I was sharing with a friend recently how the Word of God is in the hearts of many, especially in those who regularly read and apply it in their lives.  Those who forward the message need not complicate it, but simply live it out and let one's heart speak.

One doesn't need to be a soap box preacher before others to relate the message.  Christ exemplified the message quite simply, not as complicated as one would hear it served on any given Sunday by those employed to study many things and wow their audiences.  Christ simplified things by making the message quite simple.  He used terms and objects His listeners could relate to: farming, animals, their worries and their desire to live in peace and to be loved.  Some who are searching are turned off when they hear a stenographer ( one who repeats dictation ) and not someone speaking to their heart and relating to their humanity.  When I speak, I cannot help but preach the Word's message.  And although I am learning not to simply use verbatim expressions in every breath, I cannot help but speak what has been engrained and planted on my heart, and I thank God for His gift!

The lyrics in this U2 song speak the very message of God's love without repeating the message word for word ( verbatim ).  The message of love isn't like a methodology, some spell or weird ritual that needs to be done exactly and specifically or else it will fail - God doesn't work according to our confined way of viewing the world.  I dare say people speak and forward the message unbeknownst to them!

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.  As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth:


“It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

- Isaiah 55:8-11

Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.  It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?”  Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?”  No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

- Deuteronomy 30:11-14

Comments

Popular Posts