You're The Boss Of Me

Who is your boss?

Is it the person who manages you at your workplace?  Is your boss the person above your manager who is in charge of releasing your check to you?  Is your boss your spouse?  Is your boss your parent?  Is your boss you?  Is your attitude your boss?  Is your pet your boss?  Is your desire your boss?  Is money your boss?  Is the U.S. of Amerika's President your boss?  Is your preacher man or the top person at your religious organization your boss?

Why or why not are any of these your boss?

Logic could argue that the person who has the power to fire you is important and obeying them or not would mean the difference between paying the bills next month or not.  Logic could also argue ( and emotional sentiment ) that your spouse is very important and their demands / desires / needs would dictate your every move and in essence your focus.  Logic could even argue that your heart's desires or what your mind conceives and perceives as the truth is what leads you to make decisions; you thinking that you in fact are your boss.  The things and pursuits of the world around you could also be seen as defining and directing your thoughts and actions ( the latest thing to buy and the newest thing to do ).  Even the people, some would argue, who hold a spiritual responsibility over your life could very well be your boss and the flavor of doctrine you were taught reinforces this method.

But when it comes down to it, are any of these people mentioned ( and the countless other people and relationships we have ) truly your boss or hold any ounce of authority over you?

Yes and no. 

Yes in that there is a certain level of responsibility and dependency among all of the relationships mentioned.

And no; in case of a widespread disaster, obeying what another person may suggest or tell you to do may be erroneous and incorrect.. or it may save your life!  Or in the case of someone who was fired for following their conscience despite the company's policy, perhaps they instead embarked on their own journey and now enjoy a job where the conscience is the policy or they have their own business now.

Now of course, to the person who puts their faith in a just and righteous God, that person may say that God is their boss... but sometimes their actions and words may beg to differ.  When I was a part of a particular religious organization, what the men in that organization's leadership would say and 'suggest' was the law and I really didn't have much of a choice in ignoring or disobeying their direction - for doing so would be likened to disobeying God ( the hierarchy of this and any secular organization speaks to the same fact ).  You may have had similar experiences personally or known of those who have, whether it was a religious organization or some workplace environment or likewise.

To the person who doesn't particularly believe in God or doesn't really know what or who to believe regarding the notion of a God being in absolute control and having sovereignty over all things, their perception of authority, right or wrong and laws is according to what they lend their attention to and what they obey... either out of some conscience agreement or fear of punishment or somewhere in between.  Yet doesn't the person who has faith also do this very thing?

To the relationship between my wife and myself, I am her boss... as far as I lead her by example, love her by laying my pride down, serve her in the way she specifically has a need to be served, speak to her with a kind and patient heart and protect her in and at all circumstances - and in this, through her faith in God she trusts that I will do the right thing when it comes to our relationship.  She is my heart, and it is my job description in being her 'boss' that I make sure her heart is always glowing from the love of God which works through both of us, by faith.  I'm not her boss in that whatever I say she does or we do... but in that I do listen to her in what she thinks and feels, and we both make decisions regarding our lives... yet the reservation of responsibility and leadership is on me, and this isn't to forward a patriarchal label or a macho stance, but it is something found in nature and established over centuries of civilization and most importantly, what is defined in the Scriptures as the Way.  If I'm not doing my job right, it doesn't matter whether I think I am someone's boss or not, I'm nothing if I'm not upholding my calling in being a perfect man for my wife to follow.  Isn't this how God, according to His Word and the example in His Christ, would have me treat my wife? 

If I had people who worked for me and if I were to treat them with less respect as I treat my wife, or speak to them in a harsh tone as opposed to how I address my wife, wouldn't I be a 'boss' according to the failures of this world's ways and my in fact not be respected myself by these employees?  Wouldn't they simply be putting up with my abuse in order to exist ( pay bills, feed their families, etc. ) like so many of us who have worked for such people or in such environments have?

But I am here to write to you that there truly is another method... there is a better Way than what we've been led to believe by the examples of this world.

My 'suggestion' is for you to consider who in fact is the boss of all of us.  Whether we believe it or not or care to participate in the obedience to this Boss or not, following the prescriptions this boss writes brings not only blessings in this world, but perpetual and eternal blessings.  I say: recognize this Boss and be His obedient and faithful servant - for the rewards, compensation and vacation time is unparalleled to anything the ways of the world have to offer... and He loves you on top of all of that too!  He treats you not like an employee who can easily be fired, but as a son / daughter who is forever in His grace.  It is our choice to fire ourselves when we work for this Boss.

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.

- Proverbs 29:25

One day as Yeshua was teaching the people in the temple courts and proclaiming the good news, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him.  “Tell us by what authority you are doing these things,” they said. “Who gave you this authority?”

He replied, “I will also ask you a question. Tell me: John’s baptism - was it from heaven, or of human origin?”

They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Why didn’t you believe him?’  But if we say, ‘Of human origin,’ all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet.”

So they answered, “We don’t know where it was from.”

Yeshua said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”


- Luke 20:1-8

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Yeshua had told them to go.  When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.  Then Yeshua came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

- Matthew 28:16-20

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Yeshua every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Yeshua Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

- Philippians 2:9-11

Comments

Popular Posts