Understanding the Nut and the Squirrel

I leave the house this morning to meet with a friend and chat about life and all topics derived from life.  I enjoy our dialogue as we explore our mutual faith, married life and the silly as well as the profound things of life.

On my walk to our meeting place, I pass under a tree and I hear a familiar sound.  I know it's a squirrel but I can't see it.  I am looking up into the tree and after some time I finally see who is making all the racket.  I see a squirrel biting into something and I quickly grab for my camera to film this little creature eating.  Seeing wildlife, even in the city, is a joy for me.  It is like I'm a child again seeing something like this for the first time.  I'm smiling.

As I continue to walk towards my destination I see several uniformed police officers exit an apartment building, chatting and laughing about what they just finished doing.  Some of them are somewhat boasting about how they would have saved the other officer after the apparent raid they just did.  I think about how each man's life is in the hands of the others when they are doing what they do.  I may not agree with every little thing that men do, allow or disallow, but I can see the humanity in these men and the place each person has on this planet.  I am grateful for where God has placed each man and woman according to their purpose and calling.  I consider my role in this life.

As I near where I am to meet my friend, I hear behind me as I cross the street, a conversation. Two men of different ethnicity are talking about their cars.  I look back to see that both cars are very old, what may be considered 'classics.'  They have both arrived side by side at the stop light in first position and both have their windows rolled down.  They admire the vehicles the other man has and share a short conversation about year and model.  They are happy to share the words with each other as the light turns green and they slowly roll forward.  I see that even with what some would consider mundane, others use as a means to have a conversation and connect.  I see hope and I'm glad.

In my conversation that I have with my friend this morning, he shares with me that although some things can arguably be right or wrong, sometimes it may be best to first try to understand.  I sometimes don't understand why some things are as they are.  What may be wrong on all accounts for someone is sometimes not considered as wrong or right for others, but simply accepted or the way things are.  I sometimes need to be reminded to focus on the positive, on the good, and forward this in my speech and actions.  There is a time and place to point out what is wrong, usually when asked, but instead of pressing that issue, perhaps pointing out the good can better lead one's focus onto more of the good.  Perhaps this is the best move in understanding things before arguing about whether they  are right or wrong.  I am corrected and I am grateful.

I think, prior to judging people in what they do as being right or wrong, I should think about that squirrel who is simply gathering nuts because it needs to eat.  The nuts could complain I suppose, but they too seem to have a role to play, even as just a meal for a city squirrel.  Good thing we are not all nuts, nor are we all squirrels.  

Comments

Popular Posts