Driving Towards The Next Chapter In Life

How I may look to my [eventual] children (as a clearance item ;)
... perhaps like something ominous or hard to please at times...
... perhaps someone intrusive or nosy...
... but if they can see what is within me: love for them firmly planted by God's Hand.

We can anticipate change.

Waiting for the light to turn green or the crosswalk to show the crosswalk man, etc..

Although we may see a turn up ahead, we don't know exactly what will be in our path.

We may suppose to have traversed this particular road before.

That certain bump in the road or that portion the city has not yet fixed.

What of a road you have never been down before?

No two roads are ever the same.

Although you have been down a particular road before, conditions are ever changing.

Can we fully anticipate exactly how change will occur?

We can prepare.

For the first day of school, maybe new clothes or new school supplies.

Maybe also a new attitude or a better effort than last year.

Although we may have gone to school with the same kids, people and situations change.

We also change... hopefully always for the better.

At this very moment as I'm writing this article and contemplating my next thought and typed word, I look across the street and see exactly what I'm writing about.

I see a father and his son.

The child is a bit discomforted and avoiding the father's direction.

The father eventually picks up the boy aged about six... and begins walking away.

As the child tries writhing out of his father's grasp, I can't help but watch and recognize that this image's reality is quickly coming to me.

It will arrive, or so I anticipate, in ways I would not have guessed.

I am trying to anticipate the unknowns... besides the obvious knowns.

The thought of getting to know a miniature me is a bit daunting.

Besides dirty diapers and teething are fearful thoughts of eventually seeing the child imitating bad manners in my person.

Since we are the products of our parent's / guardian's upbringing, we reflect their character traits... both positive and negative.

Ever since my teenage years I have been working on developing and expanding the positive traits and eliminating or reducing the negative.

If we see mostly positive, we may be too closely aligned with their humanity to see their, or our, defective reflections.

If we see mostly negative, we may be too harsh on them and our upbringing.

I think when all things are explored, redemptive qualities can be found in every human being.

Perhaps this is very generous, but such is the stance from grace I've learned.

It is not difficult to find poor qualities in any person, while some people do seem to reflect the light most often... and others mostly darkness for many reasons.

May we be of those ever-reflecting the light despite the thorns in our lives and in our sides.

What I may look like when getting in my children's face.
Oh how I cannot wait to be in their faces, their lives, encouraging their hopes and dreams...
... and, may God allow, reflecting Him so much more than my self.

Comments

Popular Posts