One Way The Meek Inherit The Earth

Not the place mentioned herein, but the message herein is worth mentioning:
Kingdom of God is near (and here for pho you).

Visited an eatery near me I had not been to in some months.

The ownership had changed again.

When I first moved into the neighborhood, it was a Chinese food restaurant.

Location is a small space along a strip mall.

The two previous businesses (and the current one) kept the same layout.

About ten tables to dine in and a row of hot lamps with food ready to go.

I ate there a few times when it was Chinese, mostly to go.

There is another Chinese restaurant further away and much larger that has been there for many years.

I like their noodles.

Regarding Chinese food, I prefer noodles to rice and haven't ordered the rice in years.

There is a restaurant model with heat lamps.

These usually offer rice and noodles for combo meals / bowls.

The Chinese restaurant further away has no heat lamps.

Only made to order... but the walk could seem quite far on a hungry stomach, or on a hot still day, or a rainy night.

The location near my house was empty for a time before another Asian-style food business came.

Curry restaurant.

Considering the menu, the surrounding demographic, something told me it wasn't going to last long.

I ate there quite a few times.

I would see the owner there every day and also a single employee.

Very nice people and the food was okay.

The service was memorable.

My sense was correct; there wasn't enough traffic (business) to sustain an ongoing enterprise.

After not going for a few months, then remembering them one day, I decided to pay them a visit.

But they were closed and business was shut down.

A sign said a Chinese food restaurant was soon to open.

To my surprise, the same single employee greeted me.

They were kept on despite the change of ownership!

The way I understand the world at this point in time, the employee or job seeker is the most at-risk when it comes to any kind of change.

Sure, the business person takes a risk when they put their capital (or that of others) into a new venture.

But getting a job and keeping one is not as easy for those who know nothing of capital management.

Thus the investment is an exploit when the labor is subject to such exploits.

I use the term 'exploit' not in a negative sense (nor implying exploitation), but simply that it is an exercise of chance and risk not only for the employer / business person / capital investor.

Although that risk can be limited via knowledge and understanding, the employee risks unforeseen and unlimited risk, since they are dependent.

So when I walked in yesterday for a plate of somewhat dry noodles, and some chicken that I wondered would make me sick, I was very happy after being surprised to see that employee greeting me.

I had wondered what were the chances they would keep the job despite a change of ownership, and that wonderment was also affirmed... but I won't get into that.

I would simply share the following and contemplate a wondering gratitude for how He works:
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 
- Matthew 5: 5
That employee inherited, or kept, their position despite what may be argued as greater mechanisms having changed hands.

Despite the wrestling of money between consumers and proprietors, or money lost from one hand and won in another's, this person stands firm despite a temporary time off of work (vacation).

Think about such things when the news desires to beguile you, when politics seem to bring unwanted change, because those firmly established are not easily swept away... and it is such as these than inherit the earth... and the greater prize.

Comments

Popular Posts