A Beer Before Court


Recently I was asked for directions to the city's court house:

I'm on a bus headed toward's downtown to sit and work at a coffee shop I frequent.

This particular coffee shop is across the street from the court house.

A young man of 24 is sitting along the back row (where I was sitting) and asks if he can ask me a question.

He says he jumped on this bus heading downtown but is not sure as to where exactly the court house is, but was guessing.

I tell him he guessed right.

I tell him where to disembark and what streets to walk.

I then tell him to simply follow me since I am going near that location.

He thanks me and we sit quietly until arriving at that particular bus stop.

We begin walking together and I ask him if he's prosecuting or defending (a humorous question).

He says defending, and explains it is about a drug violation.

He says he just completed a 70-day stay at a rehabilitation center.

I congratulate him.

I ask if I can ask a few questions, explaining I meet a lot of people abusing drugs and sometimes don't know how else to help them.

We walk along the path while I share with him similar challenges I had when I was younger.

We share a few stories, finding common ground despite almost 20 years between us.

He informs me both his parents are dead.

This information grants me an understanding into his personal life and a backdrop to the drug abuse.

We talk about motivations and how we often hurt ourselves due to life's circumstances.

He says how an uncle promised him a vehicle if he completed a drug program and how this was his initial motivation to enter a program.

He then adds he learned a great deal about why he was doing drugs in the first place.

Then he shares something remarkable... something I was not expecting.

He recounts a dream.

In it, he has a vision of light wherein his dad appears.

Speaking to him by name, his dad said he must move out of a certain house and cease doing drugs.

Inside I praise the Lord.

I tell him in very certain terms that this dream was purposed.

He blesses me, I bless him.

He stops walking which prompts me to stop.

He sees the court house and asks if that is it.

I affirm.

He thanks me and says he needs to finish his beer prior to entering.

I chuckle a bit because I had not noticed it... but can understand what he may be feeling going before a judge.

Comments

Popular Posts