Grateful For Grace

Grace / ɡrās / Middle English: via Old French from Latin gratia, from gratus ‘pleasing, thankful’; related to grateful.

/ noun /

1- simple elegance or refinement of movement.
    a. courteous goodwill.
    b. an attractively polite manner of behaving.

2- ( in Christian belief ) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.
    a. a divinely given talent or blessing.
    b. the condition or fact of being favored by someone.

3- a period officially allowed for payment of a sum due or for compliance with a law or condition, especially an extended period granted as a special favor.

4- a short prayer of thanks said before or after a meal.

5- used as forms of description or address for a duke, duchess, or archbishop.

/ verb /

1- do honor or credit to ( someone or something ) by one's presence.
    a. ( of a person or thing ) be an attractive presence in or on; adorn.

How can the experience of grace be described in terms easily understood?

Grace happened when I talked my way out of several traffic tickets.  I thought it was due to my wit and communication skills ( perhaps this, aside from my ego ;).

Grace happened when avoiding many pitfalls that befell my peers who grew up on the same street; far too many faced prison or death.

Grace happened when avoiding peer pressures in joining a gang.

Grace kept me from being a statistic; children out of wedlock, venereal diseases from promiscuity and domestic violence from unhealthy relationships.

Grace kept me from suicide when blaming myself regarding my parent’s eventual divorce.

It has been grace that has seen me to nearly 40 years of life on this plane despite my unwise decisions.

Comments

Popular Posts