Through Who's Eyes

Do you ever hear a song that transports you through time and space?  Songs take me back to a moment in the past or propel me forward into the future.  Some songs launch me into space while other songs draw me heavenward. 

One such tune drawing me beyond the physical bounds is “I Only Have Eyes For You” by the Flamingos.  It is categorized as an “oldie;” a simple song with soul, the circle of fifths and an ethereal live sound that brings overtones of warmth and transcendence.  At least this is the manner it makes me feel.  Music is such a gift.  It can message abstract concepts.  Music can sooth the mind, heart, soul and spirit.  Music can do many things between harmful and fruitful. 

The lyrics and link to the song;

My love must be a kind of blind love
I can't see anyone but you

Are the stars out tonight?
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright
I only have eyes for you, dear

The moon may be high
But I can't see a thing in the sky
I only have eyes for you

I don't know if we're in a garden
Or on a crowded avenue

You are here and so am I
Maybe millions of people go by
But they all disappear from view
And I only have eyes for you

Like speeches and Scriptures, songs can be received a variety of ways.  My personal interpretation with this song is someone describing their relationship with God.  I see the first-person account of the author’s description.  This, like other songs, is viewed to speak of another person.  Perhaps it is my heart desiring to see each and every experience in life through the prism of faith is why I see this song in this manner.

Comments

Popular Posts