Hide The Cook

What a great difference a friendly smile and kind words make.

I recently visited a diner I would walk by every so often on my way elsewhere.  As I walk in, a friendly lady greeted me with a big smile and warm words.  I asked for a table near a power outlet ( free wifi advertised in the window ) and she pointed out such a table.

My menu was handed to me by an even friendlier waiter who seemed to be jumping for joy at every turn.  A couple seated near me seemed delighted with his jovial presence.  I could hear their hearty laughs.  After ordering a pasta plate, I was wondering why I didn’t ask the waiter for his opinion.  He returns a short time later to ask if I wanted mushrooms.  I told him it was my first time at this restaurant and I made the mistake of not asking him what his suggestions were.  He gave me about five suggestions.   The manner he explained them all made me want to order all of them.  I asked if the pasta plate was already being prepared and, after checking with the cook, he returns asking me what sides I wanted with my new choice of dish.

Service and a warm attitude are reasons that bring me back regardless of how the food turns out.  Sometimes a meal could be tastier elsewhere but, if the service is lacking luster, poor service does overshadow a meal.  I may be in the minority of folks who, in some instances, choose service over product.  In the service industry, the products are sometimes not as easily distinguishable as good service is.

The visit was a great experience until I see the chef coughing his cold into his hands before returning to the kitchen.

Comments

Popular Posts