A Man Walks Into A Bar Looking For One Thing, Finds The One Greater


Some change is welcomed, while other kinds of change is avoided by me.

I respond to unwelcome change immaturely at times.

Complaints can arise and a stream of negativity can be abuzz in my head if I don't head it off immediately.

My comforts sometimes spoil me.

Those comforts become expected patterns that I don't like to break away from.

One comfortable pattern for me is staying in at night.

Maybe I'm 'old' now, or just don't see too many night-time activities that comfort me.

If I go out at night, it is usually for dinner.

Maybe a drink with my meal, but usually not... often times water, no ice, wedge of lemon or lime.

Some patterns I do desire to break ... usually 'bad' or 'detrimental' patterns ... my thorns.

But the comforts, or the things welcomed, I don't want those changed.

One comfort is having a meal with pleasant company.

Or perhaps a drink or two within a social dynamic.

It is less about the actual meal or a drink for me.

It is more about the company and what can come from our conversation, the time together, the experience.

When a conversation is less than stellar (the comfortable expectation I have), or steeped in immaturity and I cannot get a wise word in... the means (meal or drink) was for naught.

But there is always something to learn even when things don't go as I expected, or I sense a discomfort of some kind.

There is a level of comfort that is gifted us in the Spirit.

Such a comfort sparks faith allowing the faithful to go practically anywhere and not be overwhelmed.

It is a measure of faith... whether one can eat, drink, or go anywhere (or have limited range).

It shouldn't be an issue of pride or boasting, but rather recognize growth (if any) and appreciate the faith others exude.

This type of comfort transcends the physical discomforts.

It is the kind of comfort Christ exemplified... a comforting faith which strengthened Him to keep the body of flesh upon the cross despite the pain.

Recently I was taken out of my physical comfort zone.

The plan was to watch an event on Pay Per View in a home.

Pizza was going to be the meal, maybe beer accompanying it.

I was excited.

I was going to break bread with new friends, hopefully getting to know them better, and let His light shine.

That planned didn't pan out as I expected.

Instead, my new friends and I journeyed to a bar to watch the event there.

No big deal, I've been to bars for such events... I have an idea of what to expect.

Seems I forgot why else people go to bars.

What comfortable expectation many of the bar patrons were looking forward to is what I have learned to avoid and even ignore.

I was reminded why I am reluctant to sometimes go along with others.

I was reminded why, if I am not going to such a place with my wife... I would rather not go at all.

Been there, done that.

I never grew accustomed to such a cultural custom of meeting women at bars.

Trying to sincerely meet someone in a place mostly insincere filled with patrons inebriated serves its purpose (find someone to have sex with).

This has always struck me as discomforting.

Any bit of 'comfort' I felt when I was indulging in such manners in the past, my spirit was always perplexed (not comforted at all).

My conscience always reminding me... and I wondered how many others, or if everyone else, is also conscience stricken.

Apparently not.

If I do go into such a place, I'd like it to be with a friend (or a group) that is not interested in pursuing women or going off the rails of a few drinks.

I would rather simply enjoy good company and talk about things above the physical plain (my comfortable expectations).

But a loud sports-bar is not such a place.

I have a good friend who is a retired professor we often meet for lunch or dinner.

It is a great comfort for me.

We talk about things more profound than the chatter of sports stats or the latest noise in the news or women gazing.

But these are not the expectations of others.

These are not comforts for everyone, but overwhelming discomforts for people not on the Path... or people who would rather decompress from their daily grind.

For some people, it is their joy and comfort to talk about sports, or sex, or whatever drama is going on in their lives.

I was once there... yet something was telling me that there is more to life.

It takes me more effort to talk about sports, or things that should be dealt with discreetly, than speak of matters of the heart.

Things too profound or close to home (the heart) are things typically avoided by others I come across.

That is, I think, typically human.

When going to such places like a bar, I obviously don't want to fall or even feel any bit of temptation.

To purposely place myself into temptation's path is foolish.

One is not to tempt evil... since God is all about humility, while evil boasts and is always up for a challenge and a contest.

Understanding these spiritual dynamics are intertwined with this physical world and the world's patterns, I understand why some people avoid drinking alcohol or entering such places altogether.

Avoiding stepping foot into a bar, or places where the crowd is pursuing temporary physical comforts, is understandable.

It is a fine line and a heavy task to meet others where they stand.

To go an extra mile with another is not for the weak.

To become all things to all men... without you personally falling into sin or being influenced by the ways of the world, is our calling.

It is a calling that must be grown into according to our faith while soberly acknowledging our thorns.

Thorns, which I personally have allowed to be hammered into my flesh that is hanging on my individual cross.

Such a life is never to be resurrected (the old life), but only the new in which I now exist.

It is possible to walk among rosebushes without adding more thorns to your sides.

Such a walk through rough patches must be done carefully, not leaving the Path the Spirit has enabled you to be on.

It is possible to recognize our thorns yet not push them in further, nor cause them to once again bleed (committing that sin).

Societal expectations are quite powerful and influential.

To separate an expectation from an individual's will is difficult.

It is a human trait to 'conform' and be a part of the tribe.

To be accepted, not rejected.

To be included, not excluded.

The Path into heaven is one of inclusion and acceptance.

Not a popular inclusion nor a popular acceptance.

On the contrary.

Thus why it says the Gate is narrow and very few find it.

Narrow is the Way.

Although I've stepped through the Gate long ago, the calling isn't to only traverse safe and blooming pastures.

The Lord was accused of keeping company with 'sinners'.

Well, it is sinners who need saving... and thus those walking with the Lord understand that they will traverse among the sinners.

It is a matter of being a repentant and faithful saint (previously a sinner) which brings about a good plowing of a dry field.

There are drought afflicted pastures I am called to plow... for the sake of others.

I must be prepared and have with me my water... so I may drink, and also give others to drink.

The temporary and rare experiences through drought afflicted areas, where the masses meet to revel, assist in teaching me so much.

Such experiences help build character in me.

My reflections while in the moment and afterwards help mold me further into His likeness and image.

I learn how better to serve those I am sent to forward His message of love.

So recently while at a bar, looking at things the world attempts to 'sell' me as if 'm missing 'living', I was reminded.

God reminded how He has saved me.

He removed me from such a wastes of time argued as 'good pastimes'.

He showed me how He replaced a semblance of comfort with His true comfort.

I was reminded that me avoiding such momentary discomforts entirely would be like avoiding the Potter's Hand upon my body's clump of clay.

The following passage speaks clearer to me as I've been reminded.

I was reminded that the world's manners, manners that in my heart I never wholly embraced for some reason - although for a time I persisted in it because I believed I had to 'act' like everyone else - was not destined for me.

I was reminded what God has gifted me.

I was reminded how far He has brought me.

It struck me so profoundly recently in the milieu of loud music a gratitude like no other.

I felt like I was floating for a moment.

And no, it wasn't that I had too much to drink.

It was felt like a holy kiss from the Holy One... there among those needing His light in their hearts.

He reminded me how important His work is when I see those in need.

Needy people are not only those in financial need, or suffering physical ailments.

Many people are, instead, destitute and in great spiritual need.

I was reminded that I should not only pray for them but speak kindness to them.

I should not be afraid to show myself to them, or go along with them and meet there where they are on occasion.

I am to show grace to them, and hopefully say or do something that will point their focus forever heavenward.

And when my presence, and my respectful refusal to mirror their actions exactly while still enjoying myself and have a drink or two, although they find it odd that I don't turn into the dark knight I once acted like ... perhaps they are hearing and seeing something on the inside.
Therefore, since Christ suffered in His body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 
As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.  
For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.  
They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you.  
But they will have to give account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.  
For this is the reason the Gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the Spirit.  
- 1 Peter 4: 1-6
I thank and praise the Lord for removing me from what is promoted as filling, but is actually empty:
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 
- 1 Peter 1: 18-19

Comments

Popular Posts