Choose To Live



Life is fluid. Life is always changing. Some of you reading this blog entry had a choice in what clothes to put on today, or at least what type/color undergarments. Even if your clothes are regulated and/or your actions predetermined (by a job or other), you still have choice in which thoughts pass through your mind and heart. Choice is an interesting gift. It carries a responsibility. Choice is a freedom, and perhaps the greatest freedom we have in life.

People imitate others around them, making choices sometimes predictable or obvious. When in high school (secondary school), I desired to impress my friends. I would do as they did. Drinking and drug use was the protocol. It was the 'cool' and rebellious things to do. My choices were still my own, but they were mostly fashioned around the culture, the social attitude and the choices of those nearest me. I desired to be liked and thus chose to be like them.

Growing older, I realized how detrimental this desire to please those nearest me sometimes worked against my best interest. The automatic response is to do as the popular sentiment does. It wasn't until I found myself surrounded by other drug users who cared more about their addictions than the people around them that I realized I had taken a dead end road. Yet this road was the 'cool' and 'accepted' path of adolescence all around me. I was accepted by others because I was doing as they were doing.

Perhaps your specific story wasn't like this. Perhaps it was to please your parents, or your religious leader(s), or some other ideal.

What are some of Today's popular sentiments which desire your acceptance, either directly or passively?

What are some trends which care not to hear your criticism or judgment?

Comments

Popular Posts