El Padre Nuestro



Father
male whose sperm unites with an egg, producing an embryo resulting in a birth.
man who adopts/raises a child.

Paternity
state of being a father; fatherhood.
descent on a father's side; paternal descent.
authorship; origin.

Patriarch
Originally, a patriarch was a man who exercised autocratic authority as a pater familias over an extended family. The system of such rule of families by senior males is termed patriarchy. This is a Greek word, a compound of πατριά (patria), "lineage, progeny", esp. by the father's side (which derives from the word πατήρ – patēr meaning "father") and ἄρχων (archon) meaning "leader", "chief", "ruler", "king", etc.

Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are referred to as the three patriarchs of the people of Israel, and the period during which they lived is termed the Patriarchal Age.”


The male role model, what a “father's” presence provides, can be drawn from a variety of sources.

My desires to ride motorcycles, fly in airplanes, be generous and be a tough guy were provided by my dad; the provider of the sperm which seeded my mother's egg sometime in early 1975.

Despite my dad's limited influence in my weening, I gained and multiplied his influences.

My maternal grandfather's traits were adopted; strict discipline, honorable example and the importance of obedience.

A brother-in-law; learning and developing talents like fishing, playing chess and fearlessness in expressing oneself on paper when words in person may fail.

An older cousin; exploring hidden creativity, ignoring self-doubt while pursuing faith in abilities.

Eventually, I realized I was drawing influence from many male role models.

A pastor; grace while being fair, tenderness while expressing masculinity and humility in the face of indifference.

Many older brothers assisted in shaping this 'man of God' in the making.

Today there are still many older gentlemen which I draw paternal influence from.

I see my grandfather, my dad, my brother-in-law, my cousin, my pastor, my brothers in the men I learn from.

I see God, the Holy and Eternal Father, having His hand upon me the entire time, teaching me always.

I see and place my eyes on the Perfect Father's example in His Perfect Son.

By imitating the Son have I been able to grow, forgive, overcome resentment and love over the humanity of these men, being grateful for their many/few contributions, so I too may not repeat their shortcomings or be humbled when I do reflect their humanity.

Comments

Popular Posts