Plainview Servant



One day while grocery shopping with my wife I see a man that looks familiar to me. My mind begins to process his face through my memory bank and I wonder where I have seen him before. My wife tells me to stop staring at the man. I realize I've seen him in a movie. One of my favorite films. I want to say hello and compliment him on his work. My wife asks me to please not embarrass ourselves or him. I whisper to her that I don't think I'm the type to be a fanatic and ask for an autograph while gushing over a famous stranger, but that perhaps this chance encounter is for a greater purpose; serving the human experience we all share.

I say hello and mention to the gentleman that I recognize him from one of my favorite films. His eyes seem pleased to have heard my compliment and acknowledging his work. We share a short conversation about the movie. His wife notices him beaming with delight being noticed for his work and says that I've made his day. I was happy to hear that. He seemed happy.

His character played a small role. After looking up his information on a movie database, it seems that role is the only one he has had. He's an older gentleman and he played a butler for a very wealthy and extreme character at the very end of this particular film. What I took from the interaction was something beyond the surface significance of him being recognized by a movie watcher. I noticed a kindness and appreciation from the interaction between us. He may have achieved a lifelong dream of being in a major motion picture. What may have added to his dream was this stranger recognizing him.

Comments

Popular Posts