What The Tongue Reveals



We all have our pride. Inescapable sometimes. For some, never noticeable. Ask someone about their ambitions or highlights from their past, and you may hear the surprising manner memories are recollected.

I noticed this recently when recalling my past musical ambitions. I couldn't stop talking, finding myself nearly boasting while covering later with a false humility. To err is human, to catch oneself a blessing. I am grateful for the latter, and surprised how I find myself sliding towards the former.

Have you ever noticed how recalling the past brings emotional currents of those times into the present? I know it does for me. If you listen closely, you can hear nuances in the speech pattern. Especially if someone lived in another part of the world or country, where certain words or accents prevail. You may hear past speech patterns. Perhaps it has to do with memory and the subconscience reliving a certain time and place. I'm a nerd for these kinds of things.

I'm a nerd for this as well:


Not only was the Teacher wise, but he also imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.

The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd. Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.

Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter:

Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.

For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

- Ecclesiastes 12: 9-14

Comments

Popular Posts