Finding God In A Bar

We may suspect we can 'see' what love looks like.
We may suppose we will see how God's love will speak to our hearts.
Yet, when we are open to learn, we may be very well surprised.

I am very careful in sharing all of my first-hand experiences.

I think some readers may be shortsighted in their faith... or their faith is such that some things may challenge or trouble them.

I, too, have my shortsightedness when I traverse new places and come across new faces.

But I understand that God has gifted me faith that enables me to traverse certain places and I do not fall.

I think it is our human nature to be initially reserved, careful, and suspicious.

Here we find a teaching of righteous that is only understood through faith, and not about being afraid of things that have nothing to do with disqualifying heaven for the believer, but rather has to do with seeing things as they are in the light of Christ.
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 
These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 
Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. 
Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 
They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.  
Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 
“Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!” ? 
These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 
Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence. 
- Colossians 2: 20-23
The ancient Church had issue with religious people, focused on fear of what may harm them, instead of the faith that overcomes fear.

Earlier this week I decided to visit a new cigar lounge.

I smoke cigars on occasion, more for the social aspect of who I may meet and what conversations may come about.

It is less about smoking a cigar.

If I was unable to smoke again, or if it was suggested I cease smoking cigars, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Only the social relationships that have arisen from that activity would be missed, and a lament in gratitude for those that have come into my life through the activity.

I have recently moved to a new place, and so I thought maybe I can make new friends near my new abode (as is part of my work).

I also decided to stop in at a bar near the cigar lounge.

I do not frequent bars.

It is rarer to go into one by myself, without my wife or a friend to either watch a game or simply enjoy one's company and a drink or two.

Being there in new surroundings, at a bar whose clientele I am not sure how they behave, and listening to what my ears heard surprised me.

Being the stranger and listening to others and what they had to say was a great lesson for me.

Similar to cigar lounges, a bar can become a territorial place for its patrons.

It is quite interesting how people act in relation to places they frequent and the relationships they build there.

I considered the life lessons that were coming from what was being shared.

Some of what was shared had been learned the hard way by me, through trial, error, and experience.

I wanted to leave shortly after having my drink, but something kept me there to listen and consider.

I am not one to usually spark a conversation.

But all it takes is one question aimed at me to open me up.

The turning point in what this visit was to reveal was about to happen.

I overheard the patrons and bartender lament about a certain patron dearly missed and not present that day.

They had stopped visiting.

Although this friend was earning roughly $200k a year through their work (according to their estimates), they experienced a change of heart after inheriting several millions of dollars.

It was mentioned how their drinking increased and this person became unknown to the friends.

I considered what was being shared.

I reflected on my personal experience of greed, arrogance, and self-entitlement when I worked and gained a sizable sum as never before from that work.

When the bartender came near me, I shared with them what I heard and that I felt bad about what was being shared.

I furthered my sentiment about how some people can easily be overwhelmed when given large amounts of money / wealth not earned by their own efforts.

There is something about the idea of money... the concept of 'wealth', 'power' attached to it, and how it can play tricks in people's hearts and minds (both the holders and those surrounding them).

All this came to a head.

But this was the softening to my hard shell that had me at least say something to the bartender besides my drink order.

It was when the bartender walked over shortly after I shared my thoughts with them, and played some music on the jukebox.

Their song choice got me really thinking.

It was a song about God, praying, saying Hallelujah, and other Christian themes.

Initially, the manner the topic of the missed friend was discussed, with the usual obscenities that accompany some bar patrons, was not surprising to me... but had me retracting into my shell.

However, it was how people reacted to the music which really surprised me.

They genuinely cared about this person.

And when this music acknowledging God began playing, I can see them genuinely enjoying its lyrics.

But the real nail to shut my coffin of fear was when a patron complimented my attire.

Out of the blue, without any reason or motivation to say hello, a man named David walked over to shake my hand in welcoming me, a new face among a familiar crowd.

His demeanor, his kindness, and sincerity touched my heart.

It set me at ease, and I finally dropped my mental defenses.

My reservations, fears, suspicions, and judgment of such a 'place' quickly vanished.

I saw and realized God's Right Hand working even in places like this.

Places the religious swear against and usually judge anyone having come into them.

Some readers likely view drinking alcohol as a 'sin', yet the Lord Himself turned water into wine and was accused as being a 'drunkard' when enjoying wine.

But we know in our hearts He was not a drunkard, nor went beyond the simple enjoyment of wine within reason.

I learned a powerful lesson Today that rendered me very considerate.

My heart was challenged, and taught, to open it further to even those whom at first glance I may suppose are not doing well... yet are the very people who need to see His light and be blessed.

I was immediately chastised in the Spirit, and I praised the Lord for this insight.

I considered the prayer I said in the Spirit as I entered the premises... and was shown how, first-hand, its work was revealed very quickly.

It is the same prayer I invoke every time I enter a building, or a particular 'place'.

It is a similar (and spiritually the same) faith-filled prayer taught by the Lord:
When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 
If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; 
if not, it will return to you. 
Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. 
Do not move around from house to house. 
- Luke 10: 5-7
My particular prayer from the heart that God created in me as I step into a dwelling of any kind:
Bless all who are here.
May they be found within Your grace.
I sometimes say other things, depending on what my eyes see and what my hearts reflects.

This day I learned that even in the most suspicious of places, God is still working... and my suspicions or reservations do not limit God's love and work in others, even people I may not immediately recognize as His children.

Comments

Popular Posts