Re-Learning Gratitude

My dear mother, who now resides alongside the great cloud of witnesses, took this picture.
She affixed the image onto this plate, and decorated it herself.
This particular trip, I treated her to a Hawaiian vacation (as she did for me many times previous).
She was an artist while in the flesh (among other vocations).
I can only imagine her many vocations now in the spirit.
It is when viewing the past through the Light that grateful lessons speak to our hearts... and hope is ever-clear.

The attitude of being grateful.

Gratitude.

I can be an ungrateful man some times.

It creeps into my heart, this ingratitude.

When I focus on what I want instead of what I currently have, an ungrateful mindset is waiting to undermine me.

If I dare compare my self, or my life, or my station, to another human being, ingratitude is sure to cause me trouble.

Why?

My gifts and my role is unlike any other human being.

Neither are the gifts or roles of others similar to mine.

Thus, to measure myself to another person is to find myself ungrateful for what I have... and who I am.

To look at what I do have, or do not have, and consider another person 'better' or 'worse' than myself is to look at the surface of things material.

When I fall into this temptation (in imitating the world) of measuring my 'success' in economic terms, I am looking at confusion.

Although this world determines 'success' according to its idols, factual success is measured in more profound ways.

Can a man forgive those who offend him?

If not, where is his success?

Can that man overcome the temptation of retribution, or of returning injuring with injury?

If not, how truly unsuccessful is he?

Besides ingratitude is the temptation to covet.

Notice how it is the desire behind covet that compels the world's markets.

These economic systems that men have subjected themselves and their fellow man to.

Man's ambition can likely be understood as a byproduct of coveting what his neighbor has.

It isn't an issue of desiring to have nice things, or whether or not nice things are 'good' or 'bad'.

It is good to have and enjoy nice things, for such is a reward for work done.

But if nice things are the ends themselves, therein is the foolishness.

Why do you desire any given thing?

Is it ambition or an unseen competition or something else?

Do you plan to help others with the rewards from your work? or only help yourself?

Can that which you desire be used to help others? or only yourself?

Are your gifts, then, used in good service to others?

I speak to those gifts we identify in the material world, and more importantly those of the spirit.

Your patience, your kindness, your time, your friendship.

Often times I have found myself wanting certain things, only to find out my desire was an attempt to fill a void.

A void, that by the way, only exists (in the mind) when I view myself according to this world.

I presumed that having or attaining ________ (fill in the blank) would somehow complete me... or pacify me for the moment... or make me happy.

But how fleeting are such pacifiers?

Haven't you learned that after getting some 'thing', that joy is momentary... and then its off to the next 'thing'?

This morning I was reminded of my task, my joyful work.

This work is joyful so long as I remember gratitude... if not, I am troubled by my imitation of this world.

I was reminded that although certain things may seem troubling and uncomfortable, those discomforts exist to assist my work.

They exist to help others surpass that which they currently cannot overcome.

Yet, in some strange and fantastic fashion, I too am 'helped'.

I realize that if I were to receive every single thing I gripe about, like a spoiled child, I would be rendered useless in helping others when such things are not utilized in the service of others.

In only seeking my personal comforts, I would be no good to Him who called me out from darkness into His wonderful Light.

It is then that I wake up to the fact that momentary discomforts are purposed.

Discomforts, and their occurrence, provide for yet another lesson.

Another stepping stone upwards for me.

This is one lesson I realized when challenged to go an extra mile with and for someone.

Although my flesh desires not to be bothered or challenged to go an extra mile, His Spirit directs me to make that effort.

When I submit to such challenges, not only is someone else 'helped', but so am I helped.

I am helped in many ways immediately unseen, but only later realized.

As I step upwards, I am to also assist others find their footing... and perhaps they may follow me as I follow Christ.

Perhaps God is revealed to them through me in ways I will never know until finding myself next to Him in paradise.

Yet, if I have not experienced discomforts, how can I help those currently discomforted?

This is the purpose He has set out for me (and for you) to accomplish.

I am reminded of what I have been given.

The wealth of His bounty gifted to me is immeasurable... and I can often only 'see' the material.

But what of the Spirit's gifts only spiritually measured?

I had, for a moment, become inconsiderate and selfish recently (and that prompted this article).

I had, momentarily, began to grumble without just cause.

I had, for a moment, forgotten the bigger picture.

In today's lesson, I was brought back to center.

A centered and grounded focus on the task at-hand.

A task not including or having time for spoiled discontent.

Rather, discomforts making room for gratitude.

A richly blessed gratitude revealing a bounty beyond notice.

A reminder that this life is not my own, but His.

He lives in me, works through me, and is realized in others through my example.

This is what a Christian is.

To be like-Christ.

Notice how Christ didn't have a schedule that He stuck to, but always made time and space for others.

He met the needs of others, and met their expectations.

And for this He was accused of being a drunkard (when imbibing with those He served) and a glutton (when enjoying hearty meals with those who invited Him).

He surely was humble and didn't think too highly to avoid those most in need.

So how could I?

Comments

Popular Posts