Government Is A Tar-Baby



As I research code regarding my parking citation, reading definitions and the many words man writes in his attempt to form a more perfect society, I am reminded of the story of Br'er Rabbit and Tar-Baby.

In the story, Tar-Baby is “a doll made of tar and turpentine used to entrap Br'er Rabbit. The more that Br'er Rabbit fights the Tar-Baby, the more entangled he becomes.”

This is exactly how I feel in dealing with government. The more I read their words, their rules, their procedures and their justifications for demanding monies from me for “disobeying” their rules, the more entangled I feel I become.

Any form of government has their jurisprudence. I have my own jurisprudence as well, and it has less to do with finding ways to make money and more to do with rights rather than restrictions.

A term I remember from working in the real estate business was “C.Y.A” (cover your assets). This is how the government covers their assets:

“If any portion of this code is held unconstitutional, such decision shall not affect the validity of any other portion of this code.”

- California Vehicle Code 5

Nice.

The Constitution, either the State or the Federal one, illuminates the rights of People and also addresses the liabilities due to unlawful activity. But in the code, which increases by the thousands every year, is all about “thou shall not do's” than rights. Rarely are laws repealed or edited down. Typically, laws are expanded.

That is man's typical nature; pointing out what is wrong rather than highlighting what is right.
The majority of 'laws' regular people are subject to are administrative codes whose trespass demands money. They're neither misdemeanors nor felonies; they're infractions. Ignoring how to deal with them could become a warrant for your arrest... or worse.[a,b]

Comments

Popular Posts