Empty Chairs At Empty Tables


Last Saturday evening I took a walk through my neighborhood.  I visited a couple of grocery stores, a local bar / restaurant, two coffee shops and walked the trendiest block in Long Beach; 4th Street between Cherry and Junipero. 

Aside from the good exercise from my nearly two-hour journey, I was able to take note of some interesting things.  I noticed how every location offered a different thing to people, but in each one community was being realized. 

The grocery stores had folks buying their necessary food items.  The employees were helpful in asking customers if they help.  At the bar, I ran into a friend who was celebrating his birthday.  He was happy to see me as I was to see him.  At one coffee shop, live jazz played by a four-piece band was heard.  What a delight for listeners to hear tunes and enjoying the moment of creativity and sonic bliss.  The other coffee shop I walked through had a full house listening to stand up comedy.  Although the topics were not to my liking, there was community there nonetheless.

There were two large buildings I noticed which were empty and locked this Saturday night.  They had signs outside with the invitation “All Are Welcomed Here.”  What struck me was that the option to be there wasn’t available to the community.  There was no sense of community happening in them as was elsewhere.  It is said that community and service grows and originates in these places, but not tonight.  I’ve noticed many times passing these same buildings in the past them typically being closed and not ‘open for business.’  I think these places should be opened and offering a good reason to be occupied.  If places such as these are not available, then what truly is their purpose?

Comments

Popular Posts