Grateful To Be Favored


Favor / ˈfāvər / Middle English ( in the noun sense ‘liking, preference’ ): via Old French from Latin favor, from favere ‘show kindness to’ ( related to fovere ‘cherish’ ).

/ noun /

1. something done or granted out of goodwill, rather than from justice or for remuneration; a kind act.

2. friendly or well-disposed regard; goodwill.

3. the state of being approved or held in regard:

/ verb /

1. feel or show approval or preference for.

What is it to receive ‘favor’ from someone?  Have you ever experienced special treatment from someone? 

Here’s a place where the term or sentiment of what “favor” means is expressed:

“Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.”  - Proverbs 3: 3-4

I started to really consider the favor God has shown me.  Although I am fallible, not perfect and fail miserably in a variety of ways, I must acknowledge and stand in awe of God’s favor for me.  The nature of His favor is not because I deserve it.  I didn’t ‘work’ for His favor because no man can ‘earn’ or ‘work’ for God’s favor.  It is a gift freely given from Him as the definition of the word describes.

I considered His favor after an exchange I had with a stranger on social media recently.  In short, I was surprised to read the vial and hateful words a stranger was unleashing on me.  I have ‘felt’ such hateful emotions and, at times, I have unleashed hatred in the same way I received it.  Because of God’s favor, I choose to favor His Way above my own.  His favor grants me gratitude.

Comments

Popular Posts