Who / What Are You?



Identity / ˌīˈden(t)ədē /  late 16th century ( in the sense ‘quality of being identical’ ): from late Latin identitas, from Latin idem ‘same.’

In psychology and sociology, identity is a person's conception and expression of their own ( self-identity ) and others' individuality or group affiliations ( such as national identity and cultural identity ).

Throughout my life I identified myself with quite a few identities; Catholic Altar Boy, Professional Bass Fisherman, Motocross Racer, Military Soldier / Fighter Pilot, 18-Wheel Truck Driver, Motorcycle Police Officer, Rock Star, Actor, Real Estate Investor, Stock Market Trader, Sovereign Rights Advocate, Revolutionary; I actually was most of these.

Coming to terms with these identities, I’ve attempted to answer the question as to why I had chosen these ideas.  At the age of 23 I decided to be born-again in the Name of Christ.  Yet another identity was adopted; Disciple of Yeshua.  With this identity, the idea of being one of all the children of God comes to heart and mind.  It is arguable that this identity of being a disciple or a child of God is man-made as all the others, but I don’t think nor believe so. 

The extensive list of identities I aligned myself with have to do with popular and desirable vocations in Today’s westernized society.  All of those identities bring with them a touch of honor or ‘coolness’ in being something which not everyone can ‘be.’ 

On the other hand, the identity of being a disciple or child of God doesn’t really bring with it much honor in terms of popular acceptance.  If anything, it brings ridicule and criticism.  What this identity does bring is the ability to see past all other identities in accepting everyone as children of God and not as their perceived identities would divide them.

Comments

Popular Posts