Miracles You Say?



I have a 67 year old friend I see every so often at one of the local coffee shops I frequent. We have some of the liveliest debates on political, religious and societal issues. I look forward to seeing him. He's a great guy, very funny and witty. I know I'm going to have an intellectual and thought provoking chat whenever I see him. He's a retired high school math and science teacher.

My friend grew up in an Orthodox Jewish home. He recently shared how his dad was one of the most honorable and honest people he knew. He states his dad never lied to him and would keep his word with anyone he'd speak to. His dad believed in God, but my friend does not.  After years of not hearing acceptable responses to his questions, he eventually stopped trying to believe.

I shared with him the 'proofs' and 'evidence' I've seen in my lifetime while also mentioning the points made in the Scriptures. Every point is arguable and easily reasoned away as something else. I understand this. I can't help but get a bit frustrated when, to me, the evidence is beyond measure. But for others, each and every point can be reasoned away and intellectually defined by science.

Almost everything.

He cannot explain the first-hand accounts I and other people have shared with him regarding the unexplainable things we've seen happen before our eyes. For some, if an occurrence cannot be reproduced by others it is not 'real.' It's the box of the scientific method which prevents people from seeing beyond the construct of man's wisdom.

I cannot reproduce or even begin to suggest how to provide an environment for miracles to happen, but when they do, all I can do is thank God and be grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts