Pride Begets Pride



I recently ran into a familiar face. Years ago when I resided in north Long Beach, I walked over to some police activity near my residence. Two men, looking poor and destitute, had been pulled over. Their vehicle's trunk was open, exposing new and used copper wire.

Standing near these men, one officer asks if I'd like to speak with them. I ask their names, attempting to be friendly. At this, the officer curses, chastising me for speaking with the suspects, and orders me away. Confused, I ask him why he offered the opportunity only to ridicule me.

Walking to his sergeant (which I was previously speaking with at the scene), I notify him of what just occurred. The sergeant asks the officer in private and returns saying the officer denies it. The sergeant offered to file a formal complaint. I dropped it, voicing my surprise at the attitude and choice of words by his subordinate.

Seeing him now, I reminded him of that day. He remembered. I told him he was a liar and dishonorable; the very reason why the public's trust is challenged regarding his vocation. He again denied any wrongdoing, saying I had refused identifying myself. He then labeled me a sovereign citizen. I restated my opinion and walked away.

I wonder if I should have done this, not out of fear of retribution, but thinking it was me who had just dishonored my Father by what I had said to this man. After my pride subsided, I recalled this passage of Scripture and felt embarrassed:

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings. As the heavens are high and the earth is deep, so the hearts of kings are unsearchable.

- Proverbs 25: 2-3

Comments

Popular Posts